Guys and St Thomas Hospital

Options
MrsMiaWallace
MrsMiaWallace Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Good morning

I have just received my diagnosis of Osteoarthritis in both hips but much worse in my right hip. The consultant told me I need a hip replacement but as I am only just 40 they are reluctant to do so. I have been referred to guys to a team who deal with you adults in my position to see if they can help in any way?

Has anyone else been referred to this department and received successful treatment? Just curious to see what help they can possibly offer.

Still in such disbelief over this diagnosis.

Kind Regards

Sam

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @MrsMiaWallace and welcome to the Online Community.

I understand that you have been recommended to have a total hip replacement but there is some reluctance to this because of your age - it is likely you will need a replacement operation at some point in the future. There are many members who have had this operation and someone may well have had this through Guys Hospital.

There is some great information on our website regarding total hip replacement that may be useful:

I look forward to reading the replies. Do join in across the Community, ask questions and do say how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 20. Jun 2022, 14:23
    Options

Update: there are some useful conversations to read here regarding Hip Replacement that may also be of some help in understanding the operation: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussions/tagged/hip-replacement

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi there, I have OA of the hip and in my early 50's. I am told hip replacements are lasting longer and longer nowadays, 15+ yrs. With any advice given you need to know what's best for you. When pain affects your quality of life - you will know what to do. Good luck.

• MrsMiaWallace
    Options

Thank you. I am on the waiting list now to see them so once I have all the information I will feel better equipped to make decide what to do.

I am managing with pain killers at the moment but have most definitely noticed a decline this past 12 months and have had to give up some of my work which being self employed is not ideal but I suppose it is what it is. Thank you for your reply and all the best.