Trionic veloped rollators

HI

Has anyone got one of those Trionic Veloped rollators?

I would live to just be able to walk over the road to the bit of grass there with my dog or to the field just 5 mins downthe road without having to get my big scooter out, especially as he gets older too and isn't needing as long a walks.

we will still keep the scooter and his dog bike trailer for day treks to local nature parks for a change at weeknds etc but it would be a realachievement for me to just walk over the road to that grass

my indoor rollator has 4 hard plastic wheels and with my balance difficulties I'd struggle keeping my balance and getting the front wheels up the kerbs and over uneven terrain ..I understand the veloped has a special front wheel that can 'climb kerbs' and also using crutches isntead that I have no seat when I need to stop which isgonna be really frequently to start with! ...I'd like to be able to build the distance I can walk without needing to stop to sit down after a few steps...currently I can make it from room to toom or into garden if I put rollator in garden so I can sit on seat once i get outside.

I wonder if anyone already has one and can tell me of their personal experience? The smaller model should be ok for what I'm wanting...(looking at the sport M 12" wheels)

Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I've never heard these mentioned on here. Or, indeed, anywhere else. They are expensive but, if they do a job, fair enough.

Personally, I use a bogstandard, titanium (lightweight) rollator. It's good outside (I hardly ever use it indoors) and it does kerbs well. I just hoist it up one fron wheel at a time. We have a large grassed area close by which is tree lined so, often, the rough paths through it have little bits of tree brances that have dropped off. I have to be careful but the rollator copes . I certainly couldn't walk with a dog, though. After 60+ years of R A and a mini stroke, I'm far too 'unbalanced' for that!

One thing - any decent disability shop will let you try before you buy. I'd guess that would be the way for you. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susan69
    Susan69 Member Posts: 18

yeah I use a mobility scooter for all his walks.

I can manage indoors where its flat but my balance on uneven terrain is wobbly..My worry was kerbs as I Iean on mine heavily so then having to shift my balance backwards and try to life the front wheels up one at a time I was worried I'd lose balance.

The veloped front wheel has a special 'kerb climbing feature as its two wheels close together and one moves up and over the other togetover obstacles rather than having to lift the wheel...which was why I was wondering if it may work for me better than a regular rollator.

However I am housebound with no car so would have to buy it online and therefore pay for it in full before receiving it particuarly as I'd probably need to get one off ebay second-hand to be able to afford one and as you say..they are expensive! ..and far too big for indoor use (for my house anyway!).

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

You could always ask a local disability shop if they would bring one round to y our house to let you try it. Many do this sort of thing though you'd probably best ask first if you could pay by installments. Buying such an untried thing off Ebay sounds fraught with danger. How would you know if it'd work for you? Rollators are for balance and not designed to be leaned on. The front wheels might not work up kerbs if there was weight over them. Take care.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susan69
    Susan69 Member Posts: 18

No-one near me stocks it, I checked. Most local ones are small and used to catering for older generation who just want everyday gadgets/walking aids for reasonable prices! They won't stock something they couldn't sell to most of the locals!