Pyoderma Gangrenosum And Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options

Hello Again

About eight years ago I had a wound at the back of my lower left leg. I slipped and caused a friction type burn, over the fast few months it slowly broken down from a two inch wound to 9inch by 9inch within weeks.

It refuses to heal and with a weak immune system doesn’t quite help. Does anyone else have the same with Rheumatoid Arthritis, the professor who looks after my wound says it will heal, eight years on I don’t think it will and I’m only 50 years old, and contacted this at 42.

More awareness should be made available if you ever have any type of wound with any autoimmune problems. Sadly for me nothing was available to try and stop this before it become problematic. I just like to know that I am not alone and maybe someone on the forum as the same condition as me?

Regards

Phil

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Mavic,

I don’t have any experience of pyoderma gangrenosum, but there may be members who have had this condition, especially since it people with rheumatoid arthritis are more likely to get it.

You possibly know quite a bit about the condition and treatment, but I’ve linked to the NHS site that tells you more about it. It mentions twice that it is treatable but some people can take a long while to heal:

Do keep in touch and I hope you find others who can tell you of their personal experience.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm