Am I taking the right supplements?

Options
Bamboo
Bamboo Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello all, this is my first time on the forum. I broke both of my wrists many years ago (about twenty) and was advised to take certain over the counter pain relief by a health food shop. They did the trick for many years but now I have developed pain in my shoulders and fingers which is getting rapidly worse. I currently take Glucosamine, MSM, Calcium Magnesium & Zinc, Turmeric and Cod Liver Oil at a dosage of one tablet each per day. I would appreciate any advice as to whether these are still the correct supplements and if I should be doing anything different. Thankyou.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Bamboo and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have pain in your shoulders and fingers. Have you consulted a GP or consultant to determine the cause and mediation? Our website contains a lot of useful information about arthritis, treatments and hints and tips and I would recommend having a look around it. To help I've put a couple of links in below which may be of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Bamboo
    Bamboo Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thankyou for replying so quickly. I will certainly check out these links.

I haven't seen a doctor as I prefer to avoid prescribed meds.

• Hbutterfly
    Hbutterfly Member Posts: 9
    Options

@Bamboo A lot of people find that taking different supplements helps their arthritis, and you are already taking some of the most popular supplements. Might also be worth looking at the following information on VA website Your questions on alternative supplements (versusarthritis.org). Hope this helps 😊 H

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I know you said you're not keen on prescription meds, but given the symptoms you describe I do feel it would be worth seeing your GP and maybe getting referred on, so you can understand what's happening, and what the treatment options might be. You can then make a more informed view as to whether you want to take any meds prescribed, but the solutions may be surgical or physio, so still worth investigating.