Any suggestions on how to ensure a Cortisone injection is successful?

Good to be here, I'm hoping someone can tell me about their experience after a cortisone injection and how to ensure that it works best. I have a dodgy knee and am hoping I can avoid a knee operation which, let's face it, wouldn't happen for some years with the current backlog in operations. So my doctor has suggested a cortisone injection, which I am getting this Friday. What I would like to know is has anybody had one and what did you do to prepare for it so that it has a chance of working? For instance, I love cycling but is this something I will need to avoid in order for the injection to have maximum effect?

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 13. Jul 2022, 22:55

Hi, I had a cortisone/steroid injection in my hip pre-surgery but as I was already bone on bone, there were no soft tissues left in the joint to be inflamed, and in which the cortisone would work. So that gave me no relief at all, not even briefly. But I’ve had chronic inflammation in a few of the tendons round my hip triggered by the hip replacement (which my surgeon says is a rare side effect). So I’ve had steroid injection under ultrasound into one of the tendons, and this time it has really helped. I understand the improvement can continue for around 6 weeks, but will eventually wear off. If I’m really lucky I won’t need another injection, but otherwise it can last from a few weeks up to around 12 months.

In the period after the injection I was told to take it easy (ie no really strenuous exercise) while the steroid did it’s stuff in bringing down the inflammation, so while I’m not glued to the sofa, by the same token I’m taking it steady when out and about. Just take it steady.

i wasn’t given any advice pre-treatment, but keeping your muscles in good shape helps your joints anyway, just moderate it for a week or so while the cortisone has a chance to get working. Everyone’s different so listen to your body.

• Freeflyer
    Freeflyer Member Posts: 5

Thank you, Lilymary. Your comments are extremely helpful. I will take it easy if I know that this is the best way to go. Otherwise, my husband might have nagged me to get out on my bike the next day! I have heard that the first few days are difficult as the muscles get used to the new injection. I have heard that long-term use of the injections is not advised because it might do more damage to your bones. Having said that, a friend who I bowled with said that he had an injection seven year's ago and is only now thinking he needs another one. Perhaps he's just been lucky.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hello @Freeflyer

@Lilymary has given you great advice. I have always been told to keep as still as possible for 24/48 hours in order to ensure the steroid remains where they have injected it for as long as possible. This does not mean you can't use the loo or have a shower just probably not cycling!!!!

I do wish you the very best of luck this is an excellent opportunity to get your husband making you cuppas and generally looking after you 😉

Toni xx

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

@Freeflyer

You might find this interesting particularly the section entitled 'Is there anything I need to know before I have a steroid injection'

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Freeflyer
    Freeflyer Member Posts: 5

Well, I went ahead, although I'm not sure there will be a second time. The doctor put the needle in no less than three times! I suppose he was trying to ensure the injection itself settled in the right place. Anyhow, he did say to seriously consider a knee replacement given the extent of arthritis. So I will ask but am assuming it will be some way down the line. Just hope now it works.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Well done. Now rest up.

Best of luck🤞 for you

Xxx

• Please at I ask…did the injection help at all? I’m in the same situation and considering having one.

thanks x

• Judi
    Judi Member Posts: 2

I am on a list waiting for injection to both shoulders for severe arthritis .our GPS in our small town operate mainly by phone so unsure what or when I’ll be getting . Any one here had shoulder injections ?

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Judi (Apologies @Freeflyer for hijacking your thread I just want to welcome @Judi .

I see from your post that you are waiting to have both shoulders injected to relieve your pain. It doesn't sound as though you have been given a great deal of information by your surgery as they operate mainly by telephone.

Here is some information about Osteoarthritis of the shoulder:

and some information about steroid injections:

while you wait for someone to come along and reply to you.

Best wishes

Ellen.