staple left in knee

Options

Can you believe it I found a staple the nurse has left in my knee I didn't spot it earlier because I had bandages on for weeks and then it swells up in this heat Also around the wound there was bloody scabs which wouldn't come off easily as the knee was very sensitive to touch

What do I do well I phoned the doctors and she gave me the talk of why am I only ringing now and didn't you spot it earlier not sorry that it was their nurse who left it in my knee and i'm not considered an emergency it was like it happened often the way she spoke to me

I'm not looking forward to the staple being pulled out

Has anyone else had something left in after an operation or is it just me?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Stacey 1977

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am so sorry to hear that you have had this experience following your surgery it sounds like you have not had much help or support in dealing with this issue. 

It may be helpful to you to post on the Living with Arthritis forum (please see link below) for others experience on all aspects of living with arthritis including surgery.

You may wish to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They can provide help with for example, resolving concerns or problems when you’re using the NHS and you can find your local PALS on the link below. 

If you wanted to talk to someone about support around this issue then you can contact and find out about an advocate that can help you challenge your treatment. You can contact the organisation Voiceability regarding NHS complaints advocates who may be able to help you. Advocates help to make sure that the NHS listens to you.

Living With Arthritis Forum

You may find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful: 

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor