Turmeric and surgery

Options

Please can anyone help me?? Having been waiting a while for my knee replacement I had a call on Monday to say a cancellation was available this Saturday (23rd July) Yipee…. Was asked questions like was I well, had I stopped taking HRT etc and all fine. Just looked at my notes from my pre admission appt back in May and to my horror it says stop turmeric 2 weeks before surgery. I take a teaspoon of powdered turmeric most days 6% cucurmin and now don’t know what to do. Has anybody out there taken turmeric up to surgery and had any problems. I really don’t want to miss the surgery but at same time do no want to put my health at risk. Any advice appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Klootster
    Klootster Member Posts: 19
    Options

Google threw this up. Probably best to let them know and let them decide ?

Surgery: Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

• Beverley010
    Options

Many thanks. Have spoken to someone who has had 3 replacements and never been asked about turmeric. Worried that if I tell them I use it frequently they’ll cancel my surgery because they go by guidelines rather than individual cases.

• Klootster
    Options

That's always a possibility. Also, aspirin has a similar effect of preventing blood clots but it doesn't mention that ?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

There are several meds (aspirin is one) which should be stopped before surgery as well as some supplements. Having had a fair bit of surgery there's no way I would risk jeopardising the outcome just because of something avoidable. I'd ring the team (preferably the anaesthetist) to check how they'd feel about it. At the very least, ask your local pharmacist.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • thewarrior
    Options

Don't worry. Hope you get well soon

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Beverley010 I hope you have had a chance to resolve your turmeric dilemma, just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Poppyjane ( Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @thewarrior welcome to the online community

Thank you for your first post in support of another member. Would you like to tell us more about what brought you to the site and how your life is affected by arthritis.

Poppyjane (Moderator

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Beverley010
    Options

Many thanks for all the comments. Found out the guidance on turmeric refers to supplements with much higher amounts of Curcumin than can be found in culinary Turmeric. Annoyingly yesterday the dog scratched my leg ( good one) but told the Practice Nurse and she is not worried as it is only minor. Now very nervous as I know it is a very painful procedure even though mine’s only partial knee replacement. After all the waiting it is suddenly real!

I first found this site when looking for a connection between turmeric and surgery but have since found some very interesting articles especially on exercise which I know will be very important from tomorrow onwards.

Have an early start tomorrow as I have to be at the hospital for 6am so going to try and chill now!!

• Klootster
    Options

Hope all went well for you today 🙂