Dietary changes

After almost 12 months of adjusting my diet I've dropped..

Protein, gluten, dairy, sugar, meat. Almost everything.

This last week or so I have completely eliminated dairy and my hands have been so much better.

A bit of research states that CASEIN which is found in, surprise surprise, beef and dairy products is detrimental to rhumatoid arthritis sufferers.

I'm sure this isn't the case for all RA sufferers, perhaps we all have different triggers. But for me I'm optimistic and will continue to avoid these products.

I'd also read some time ago that cattle are constantly injected with various antibiotics/drugs. I suppose the human gut could be considered the end of that food chain ?

I remember hearing (on a podcast) that a Dr in America, with years of experience stated, and I quote "In all my years of practice I have NEVER witnessed a healthy gut in a person that consumes dairy"

Food for thought (so to speak)

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 24. Jul 2022, 07:56

Hi @Klootster

Nice to meet you.

I am vegan. Was vegetarian for decades, but then thought about cows the impact on them of constantly breastfeeding for humans to drink! Their babies being taken away too young etc and also I have a lung condition. Someone suggested to me that dairy makes (sorry) mucous so gave it a try being vegan.

So far I've been fine (it's been a good 3/4 years now maybe more) my joints are pretty well under control.

I listen to Professor Tim Spector quite a lot who talks about a healthy gut being relevant to loads of health issues and feel there must be something in it.

Casein is in a lot of processed food too i think.

anyway i'll shut up for now but nice to meet you.

Toni

• Klootster
    Klootster Member Posts: 19

Hiya Toni.

God no, don't shut up haha.

I've been using oat milk instead of moo juice for a few months but recently dropped cheese and yogurt. I've lost 3 stone since my diagnosis last year. I've recently started lifting weights again so feel I need protein to some extent, so I've been eating chicken, eggs and oily fish. Not sure I'll ever eat beef again though.

Good to hear you have things under control ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• frogmorton

I lost a lot of weight as I also lost my appetite initially.

I never judge other people for what they eat it's very much an individual thing. There are people who say tomatoes cause their joints trouble luckily not me๐Ÿ˜Š

I hope you get your meds and regime sorted soon.

Oat milk is good you know you can make your own?

Take care

Toni x

• Klootster

Oat milk, I'll have to look into that. Is it easy ?

I've recently made my own sauerkraut which I think helped massively.

Regarding tomatoes, I've heard numerous times they cause inflammation, I'm not the biggest fan of them so rarely eat them/many at all.

• frogmorton

Oat milk dead easy

Oats, water, blender then strain!

That easy give it a go. Not sure it will be barista quality, but definitely good for your cereal etc.

I shall carry on eating my tomatoes ๐Ÿ…

• Klootster

What sort of ratio of oats and water are we looking at ?

• frogmorton

1:4 @Klootster

whizzed up in a blender (not too long less than a minute) then strained (I have muslin, but others use tights or an old T shirt (clean I'm sure๐Ÿ˜…)

Take care now

Toni x