Benefit appeal

Loubie
Loubie Member Posts: 5
edited 15. Aug 2022, 14:55 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi,

I have osteoarthritis and I have some nerve damage in my lower back . I am awaiting a second mri on my neck to find why I have permanent tingling in my arm and loss of grip in my hand . I have been sick from my job for over a year and ssp ran out in November so I applied for UC and ESA. UC sent me a UC50 form and then I had a telephone assessment last week to see if have limited capability for work. This week UC have informed me that I am fit for work , although my gp continues to give me a sick note and says I cannot work. I requested a copy of the assessment report from dwp and was told to contact my work coach via my UC journal. She says she doesn't have access to the assessment report and seems reluctant to chase it up for me but was asking me if I want a mandatory reconsideration which I understand is another decision maker looks at my assessment report. I said I would like to see the report so I know what I am appealing against. Can you give me any advice on how to get a copy of the report and what I do once I have it , as in do I write a letter of appeal? Thanks .

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 256

Hi @Loubie

i am sorry to hear you are going through all this with UC. It is a minefield and it’s sad that the GP and DWP don’t talk to each other.

im afraid I don’t know the answer about accessing your report but Citizens Advice will be able to help you and you can ring them, email, web chat or make an appointment to see an advisor. You can find out more at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

good luck!

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    edited 15. Aug 2022, 14:54

Hi Loubie

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have osteoarthritis and are waiting for an MRI to find out why you have permanent tingling and loss of grip in your hand. I am sorry to hear that you are going through this situation with claiming benefits. It can be complicated and difficult navigating the benefits system. I am afraid that we are not benefits experts but, as has already been suggested the Citizens Advice Bureau should be able to help and advice you about accessing your report and provide further advice including about mandatory reconsideration. I hope that the information in the links below is helpful to you.

You may find the following pages on our website helpful.

Financial support for people with arthritis

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful:

Challenging benefit decisions - Citizens Advice

Scope - advice and support, challenging benefits decisions.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor