Well here I am.

Options
Clazdana
Clazdana Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hiya, newly diagnosed although been suffering for around three years. 54, hate the fact I have so much pain/ restriction in my knees. Anyone else get angry? I used to run 800m and cross country for my county. Now I can barely walk.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Clazdana welcome to the online community

You are newly diagnosed after three years of pain and decreased mobility in your knees and you are feeling angry about your situation. Like many of us when first diagnosed you are feeling a variety of emotions and at the moment anger is the dominant one. You are not alone in being upset about what you used to do and are now no longer able to do. I hope that with the support of our members you will feel able to redirect your focus into something positive.

Meanwhile I attach some links which I hope you find helpful

Do browse round the community for other ways to help redress the balance in your life as you adjust to living with arthritis. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 180
    Options

Hi Clazdana

when I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my right knee just over a year ago, I too felt anger and frustration at gradually losing the mobility in my knee. I used to love spending hours out working in my garden and enjoyed lengthy walks in nearby parks. It has taken me nearly all this time since being diagnosed to try and come to terms with this and trying to accept my condition. I have found that by joining this site and reading/responding to various posts has helped me to realise I am not alone with this and on days when I feel down, try and be kind to myself. I have been given physio exercises to do and try and do some most days, but accept if in pain, then leave them for another day. There are so many people who suffer with this terrible condition, but we are not alone, so try and take comfort from this.

Take care.🙂

• Clazdana
    Options

Thank you. One of the things that really annoys me is when people say move more, walk more. I walk 12,00 steps a day at work, 3-4 miles each day and it is so very painful. I am active but why tell me to walk more if that's what's causing me pain?

I'm thinking of leaving work and getting a more desk based part time job as my job in a school working with special needs children requires bending and walking from one end of the school to the other all day. I don't drive so when I do get in after a bus journey home I'm exhausted.

Thank you for your tips. I'm currently on school holiday and can rest more and pace myself and as a result I have more energy. I'm trying the exercise programmes one thing I would want to do is be able to straighten my knee and leg as I can't do this currently it just won't straighten!

I hope you are feeling more upbeat and thank you for understanding.

• Clazdana
    Options

Sorry, 12000 steps