Living with gout at 26yrs old

Hi, I have quite recently been diagnosed with gout and it has really affected my life over the last few years. The pain during flare ups is immense and the day-to-day worries/anxiety and mental health impacts that have come with my diagnosis is very tough. I'm looking to speak to people of a similar age who have gout or other forms of arthritis and would appreciate any support and advice-especially on how to talk to friends/family about it and on how to allow them to understand a bit better on what I'm going through. Thanks!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @dpope

I am not young anymore, but like many members was 'far too young to have arthritis' when it started for me. We do have members in their 20s so hopefully some will happen along to chat to you.

I don't know if you've seen this? Apologies if you have.

Just worth a quick look.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• dpope
    dpope Member Posts: 5

Hi @Ellen,

thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I have not come across Arthur’s Place so thanks for that, on first glance it looks really good and helpful!

Thanks!

David

• jodess_
    jodess_ Member Posts: 4

Hi @dpope

I am 22 and been living with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 16. I can 100% relate to the pain you must be experiencing during flare ups. They can be quite horrible and really mentally draining doing day to day activities. In terms of speaking to friends/family about it and what you are going through, I have found that explaining it in simple terms works best. So whenever I explain to new people or friends about my condition, I usually experience the flare ups and swelling of my joints' pain like a headache. A constant pain that either stays the same or gets worse, like a headache does, just in one (or more) parts across your body. And just explaining to them that sometimes you need extra help doing things such as for me, when I have a flare up of my fingers and wrist, I can't open bottles and making them understand that it could just be for one day and then the following you can open all the bottles in the world! I think the best thing is to compare it to normal things that everyday people can experience, even though it is a lot worse, they would begin to understand it. Hope that helps a bit!