Hello from Coventry - need a new hip but too fat

Pennysparkles
Pennysparkles Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello :)

Thank you letting me join your community, I am 57, with osteo arthriitis in my fingers, knees and hips. My left hip has no joint left now so I need a new one but its hard to lose the weight when I can barely walk.

I've lost 2 stone but have another 3 to lose before the NHS will even put me on a waiting list - any advice? I dont think I can handle another 2 years like the last two.......

Comments

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 102

Hi @Pennysparkles

Thank you for posting, you are very welcome here.

You say you have osteoarthritis and you are trying to lose weight prior to a hip replacement, and looking for advice.

Well done on losing over 2 stone already, it can be very difficult to lose weight prior to any surgery especially when you have arthritis. It’s recommended that adults need to do at least 75 minutes high intensity or 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise each week – this includes activities such as cycling, swimming or walking briskly.

Below are a couple of links that

There are some useful posts from members experiencing similar problems in our Living with arthritis discussion, please take a look

Let us know how you get on

Thanks Helen, Admin

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Thanks Helen but as I can barely walk at all now, I cant do those excercises......

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 243

Hi @Pennysparkles

As your mobility is limited I wondered if these stretches might be more manageable, there are seated versions:-

Take care

Louisa

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I love your honesty and you clearly have a great deal of determination as you've already proved it.

We had a lady on here confined to a wheelchair, who lost 5 stones. That's probably because they now realise that it's diet / healthy eating which loses the weight not exercise. Don't get me wrong. We all need exercise and, especially when we have arthritis, we need it regularly. But that's to keep our supporting muscles strong and keep our joints as flexible as possible. It's what we eat that counts with weight loss though.

I hope you won't be discouraged. The weight loss and the exercises will really help that new joint when you get it.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright