New Here and in pain..!

Options
SueDear
SueDear Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi to All..

I was diagnosed with OA in my lower back with an MRI scan. That was a few years ago.

It has gradually become worse over time to the point I can no longer leave the house. All walking has become difficult. I drag myself around on the floor a lot.

I live alone and have no visitors. I was thinking of getting a micro kick scooter to get to the shops. Does anyone else use manual kick scooters with the same condition?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @SueDear  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You suffer with OA in your lower back which has made walking very difficult with the implication that you are now unable to leave the house. You’re thinking of getting a scooter to help with your mobility and would like to hear from any forum members who have tried this option. 

You mention that you’re in pain, this link to our website offers useful advice as regards pain management which you may find useful:

This link provides a wealth of information and advice as regards OA:

As regards kick scooters but have you considered mobility scooters? This might be a more comfortable and less painful option? 

I hope that joining the forum helps with managing your condition and mobility options. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Hi and welcome from me too.

I'm with Mod Pete. Try a mobility scooter or, at least, a rollator. I can't imagine how anyone with a bad back could ride a kick scooter. Plus, they're to be ridden on pavements but pedestrians have right of way so you'd be constantly stopping and starting.

Try some of the exercises on here to strengthen your back. The worst thing we can do is not exercise the painful bits. They need strengthening.

Also, why not self-refer to an Occupational Therapist for advice. You can self-refer by contacting your local council's Adult Social Care department. They're really helpful.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 31. Jul 2022, 05:00
    Options

@SueDear

I love the look of those scooters too. They feel like something people who don't have arthritis might use which might also help us.

My worry would be a bit like Stickywicket said. The stopping and starting, but also the twisting and turning you might have to do which definitely hurts my back.

Are you anywhere where you could try them out perhaps hire one first?

There was a chap who used one on here I don't know what type of Arthritis he had though.

Found him!

He never got back to us though I hope you will?

Take care

Toni x

• SueDear
    SueDear Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi.

I was thinking of trying a kick scooter if only for the exercise it provides, whereas with a mobility scooter you are very passive: it doesn"t build muscle.

As I was been diagnosed with lower back osteoarthtitis, I am not sure if the forward bending motion on a kick scooter is beneficial; but it sounded a lot more fun than a mobility scooter.

Thus I am still torn about what to do. It is difficult to leave the house or go shopping nowadays. Micro-scooters sound fun. Maybe a chiropractor could advise me.