Newly diagnosed

Options
julie11
julie11 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to rheumatoid arthritis (of all the things I thought might happen in 2022, this definitely wasn't one of them). I'm about to start methotrexate (15mg) and looking for advice on what painkillers I can safely (or as safe as it gets) take. I'm on diclofenac 25mg 3 times a day at the moment with omeprazole, but concerned that I might not be able to continue with this? If I miss more than a couple of doses my wrists feel like they've been crushed by a lorry,

Advice seems conflicting. The hospital pharmacist says I can take omeprazole, this website says not to ......

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @julielazonby  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I see that you are newly diagnosed with RA and are about to start with methotrexate. You’d like to hear from forum members their views on what painkillers it’s safe to take. 

Whilst you wait for feedback from the members, this link may provide some useful input:

This one takes you to a recent discussion which you may wish to join in with: 

I hope you receive some useful feedback. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Omeprazole is no problem. It's not a painkiller, though, but a med to protect your stomach from the diclos. The latter might be a problem. Rheumatologists prefer NSAIDS not to be used with DMARDS such as meth but they do allow them sometimes. I think you'd need to check with your rheumatologist on that. Straight (non-NSAID) painkillers are not a problem. Your GP can prescribe them.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright