Wrist arthritis

Options

Am being pressured to go back to work as a chef but waiting for trapeziectomy on wrists and in pain. Would it do more harm as struggle to grip things.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @joank and welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I can see why you’d be worried about making your condition worse pre operation particularly given your career as a chef. I suggest that your best bet is to ask your GP. If he/she agrees that you may do further harm, then they should be able to give you a letter for your employer. 

These links provide some useful information about the operation and about wrist arthritis in general :

I hope you receive some useful feedback from forum members. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• joank
    joank Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you so much. Will contact doctor.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hi Joan. Just a quick heads up. I've not had this op but I've seen threads in here from people who have. The key seems to be not to try to rush the recovery. It might seem like a small op but the recovery period is long. I hope yours will be a success

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi,

I'm waiting for the same op and have a brilliant OT at the hospital. I have monthly appointments with her with exercises, braces and various aids that I can use. I was also given a steroid injection which has made a HUGE difference while I wait for the op.

I think you will need advice on your job. Your employer will need to do a H&S policy especially for you if you do go back (I had one years ago as a school librarian as I couldn't kneel and certain movements were a problem). But check with your GP/surgeon.

Yes, I too have been told that it takes a while for recovery - and it's my right hand too! Well I'll need to find ways around doing things, I suppose.

Good luck.