Methotrexate

Options
jveldo
jveldo Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I am Jackie i have recently been diagnosed with RA and am about to start Methotrexate. I have been back and forth about whether or not to take this drug as the side effects concern me. Any advice?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @jveldo (Jackie),

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You are recently diagnosed with RA and would like input from forum members as to whether to take Methotrexate due to worries about potential side effects.

Well you’ve definitely come to the right place to ask the question as there are many members who have faced this dilemma.

While you wait for some feedback you may find this link helpful:

This is a recent discussion that you may wish to join in on:

I hope that any input you receive helps you with your decision.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

It's unfortunate that the internet - even forums such as this - are weighted with tales of woe far more than success stories. Those with no problems are just getting on with life and why wouldn't they? Meth is a good starting med and very safe if we are conscientious about our blood tests which highlight potential problems before they become actual ones. . I've been helped by it for over 20 years with only the occasional day of fatigue the day after I take it or the day after that. I hope it's the same for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jveldo
    jveldo Member Posts: 3
    Options

I think i am just being a bit of a wimp about it really as i don't like being or feeling sick and you're right about the negatives of this on the internet. I think the long term benefits of taking Methotrexate outweigh the short term possible side effects that i may or may not suffer. I'll find out soon enough starting tomorrow evening wish me luck. :-)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Best of luck Jackie @jveldo

Lots of us have found MTX a real help with the Arthritis.

If you do experience any side effects give us a shout we also have plenty of tips to minimise them.

Fingers crossed for you🤞

Toni x