New

Options
starflower
starflower Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello there

I could not find click new post . so I thought I would start a new thread.

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in one knee yrs ago the other knee painful.The gp said byy phone call sounds like arthritis . Referred to physio 3 month wait. Gp is doing all appointments virtually. I may have arthritis in my knee .I have had ops on both knees. The pain is getting on my nerves.I just take a couple of paracetamol and wear a knee splint. ANy advice welcome

Comments

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 104
    Options

Hi @starflower

Welcome to the online community.

You haven't had a firm diagnosis of arthritis but are experiencing lots of knee pain.

If you have swelling or stiffness that you can’t explain and that doesn't go away in a few days, or if it becomes painful to touch your joints, you should see a doctor. The earlier you get a diagnosis and start the right type of treatment, the better the outcome will be. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It can affect anyone at any age, but it is most common in people over 50. If you have osteoarthritis of the knee, you might feel that your knee is painful and stiff at times. It might affect one knee or both.

Hopefully you will find the following links useful

Now that you've introduced yourself do take a look around at the other categories Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular, and please let us know how you get on

Take care Helen

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hi,

I'm wondering if the operations you had on your knees were related to arthritis.

Re physio - you might be able to ring up and say you'd take a cancellation appointment at short notice. Or you might wish to pay for a private consultation (about £30-£40). Or you could just try Versus Arthritis's knee exercises while you're waiting. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-knees/

As for pain medication - ask your local pharmacist. They're very knowledgeable.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I agree, don't wait for NHS physios. If you can afford it (and as @stickywicket says, they're not all that expensive) find a good private physio who can give you as many sessions as you want with very little waiting list, as opposed to a limited number of sessions with the NHS and a huge wait. So, for example, if they give you exercises or a short course of treatment, you can arrange to review in a few months and maybe tweak the exercises as you progress. Or they can just give you a more detailed assessment, which they will send to your GP. They can't arrange xrays etc unfortunately, that needs to go through your GP. Find a Chartered Physiotherapist. Mine's also a sports physio, but she sees patients of all ages and levels of decrepitude. She's a godsend.

• polnan
    polnan Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello, newly diagnosed with arthritis, after initial diagnosis by GP that

I had sciatica, referred me to a physio who sent me for an xray to find

out exactly, xray says arthritis..

still in shock, as I have been blessed with good health (other than womens things)

for a long life.. over 80 years of age,

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 250
    Options

Hi @polnan

Welcome to our community!

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, do you know which arthritis condition you have? I appreciate it can be a concerning time, but educating yourself and self management are a great way of trying to take control.

This info on our website might be useful for you to read Newly diagnosed (versusarthritis.org)

I'm sure you'll get lots of support from our members but if you do have any concerns or questions you can also call our Helpline 0800 520 0520 (9am - 6pm, Mon-Fri).

Best wishes

Louisa

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• polnan
    Options

Hello, newly diagnosed with arthritis, after initial diagnosis by GP that

I had sciatica, referred me to a physio who sent me for an xray to find

out exactly, xray says arthritis..

still in shock, as I have been blessed with good health (other than womens things)

for a long life.. over 80 years of age,

• polnan
    Options

Thank you Louisa, I forgot I had posted this. just posted another "first post" I am not good

at sharing... wish I could, so I struggle.