Hi

Options
Frankidoodle
Frankidoodle Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I’ve had arthritis in my knees for a number of years and managed it by running and weight training to keep the weight down and strengthen the muscles. Covid lockdown stopped the classes and I lost my way a bit. Now just diagnosed with arthritis in hips and lower spine, one hip being painful and an impinged femoral nerve being the initial symptoms.

I was referred here to the site for exercises, but was struck on the commentary about feeling depressed sometimes, as I’ve been told to stop running, and can’t do the fun events with my mates anymore. I know what I need to do, I even have plans. Just feel a bit stuck today!

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Frankidoodle . I see that you have had arthritis in your knees for a few years, a condition you managed with exercise (running and weight training), a regime interrupted by Covid. The arthritis is now also in your back and hips and it has been suggested that you stop running. This has cut you off from activities with your friends and emphasised the emotional aspects of having arthritis. Here is a link to information on our website that seems relevant to you:

At the bottom right of the first page of Recent Discussions, you will find Popular Tags. One of these is “Exercise” which will lead to relevant posts form other members.

Good luck and do come back and let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• Bic1982
    Bic1982 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi @Frankidoodle

I've just come across your post and was wondering how you were feeling today?

I hope you are feeling more positive today than you were when you first posted.

Anne

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi Franki, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low. I used to be an outdoors person, fell walking, big trekking holidays, a bit of kayaking and horse riding. All stopped when my hip packed up, and it left a huge hole, and left me feeling very low at times. My "new" (14months old) hip is still work in progress, so I've had to learn to find pleasures in smaller things - low level walks, having a little trousers-rolled-up paddle in the river, a good potter in the garden, whatever cheers me up. I now know I won't get back to where I was, but there are many other ways to enjoy being outdoors. It just depends on what your body's up to.

The main thing is for everything you give up, find something to replace it that you enjoy. Would swimming or cycling work for you? That can be good for dodgy hips. Perhaps find new ways to keep up with your running mates - go for a drink, marshall at running events etc. Explain to your friends how it affects you and how it makes you feel, and you may find them very supportive. I'm afraid arthritis can be a bit unforgiving and indiscriminate, and we do have to find ways to adapt. Meanwhile, do try gradually building up the exercises again. Don't overdo it, as it will take longer to recover before the next session, just start really slow. It will really help support the affected joints, and in the event of surgery, will improve your recovery time. It might be worth having a few sessions with a private sports physio to find an exercise regime that works for you.