Constant pain

Options
Angiecoup8494
Angiecoup8494 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, newbie here with my first post. Was diagnosed 2 years ago but told not bad enough for surgery. Now taking prescribed meds which doc has just increased. I’m pretty stoic with pain and usually just get on with things but it’s getting really bad and constant even with the meds. My question is should I see doc and try to get something stronger or is this my life now. I know I can’t expect to be completely pain free with arthritis but the constant pain is getting me down.

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading

Angie

Comments

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 104
    Options

Hi @Angiecoup8494 Welcome to the online community, you are very welcome here.

You were diagnosed 2 years ago but are experiencing increased pain, and wanting more information.

You don't mention which type of arthritis you have, and treatments can be different depending if you have osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. If your GP has only prescribed pain killers then this could be osteoarthritis, and depending where you are affected e.g. hips or knees then you may start to experience greater pain. If this continues then please do seek another appt with your GP to discuss your symptoms and pain management.

I have included some links below which hopefully you will find useful, especially the osteoarthritis page where you can find info on things that can help manage your symptoms

Hopefully some of our members will be able to advise further, but please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on

Thanks

Helen

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Angiecoup8494
    Options

Thanks for the link Helen. It is osteoarthritis I’ve got and in right hip and knee

• Bic1982
    Bic1982 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi Angie

I don't have osteoarthritis but I do think if you are in that much pain you should go back to your GP. They may be able to give you something stronger or they may send you for x-rays to see how badly damaged the joint is.

I think its definitely worth talking to them though and letting them know that you are struggling.

Anne

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi Angie, you might find some tips in this link helpful. They certainly helped me when the endless pain got me down. You need more in your armoury than meds, which I'm afraid can only go so far in controlling pain - most will say at best they just take the edge off it. I found distraction particularly helpful - anything that takes your focus away from the pain reduces how much you feel it, and can help your mood also.

Have you been referred to a musculoskeletal consutant to see whether surgery or steroid injection might be appropriate for you?

You could also ask for a referral to a pain clinic, which you may find helpful.

• Angiecoup8494
    Options

Thank you Bic 1982 and Lilymary for your suggestions. I’m due to have steroid injections next month and will definitely read through the article on pain management

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I hope the steroid injections work for you. Keep us posted, and keep coming on here if you need a moan or want to ask more questions