Help! 2 Completely Different Opinions???

Edgey_75
Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I’m 46 years old have osteoarthritis in both my hips, but worse in my right. I’ve been told I was born with abnormal shaped hips. 

Ive been suffering for a few years now and have alot of pain and a limp which makes it difficult for me to walk. Activities which I took for granted, such as shopping, is extremely hard for me.

My Auntie has very generously offered to pay for me to go private, in hoping I can get treated quicker. 

To cut a long story short, my private consultant has said he suggests a hip replacement which can be done in October, but my NHS consultant has said he would never have offered me a hip replacement!?? He would suggest injections and then maybe keyhole surgery!

I have 2 completely different answers. Which is making me so anxious. 

All I want is a more permanent solution so I am able to walk without a limp and have a better quality of life then I do now. But I’m so unsure as to which road to go down.

Has anyone been in the same situation? And can anyone help me with my decision?

xxx

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Hello @Edgey_75 welcome to the online community

You have arthritis in both hips and have been given different advice about the way forward. We are here to help and support you whilst you come to a decision and our members who have have had similar situations, will I am sure post about their experiences.

Meanwhile I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

Those of us who have had replacement surgery know more than most the benefit of keep our joints and muscles as mobile as possible. So I have included the new stretching videos which cover the full range of "body parts"! Everyone who has tried to keep up a daily routine of exercise pre and post operation will tell you that it helps tremendously to return to greater mobility sooner with as much preparation as possible.

There are some interesting posts by members who have described their progress pre and post op so when you have a chance do browse round the community and pick up some of their stories. The Living with Arthritis section is a good place to start.

We are here to support you whilst you work through your decision so do stay in touch , we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Phew! How tricky!

It's not at all unusual on here for people to see a doc privately and end up with two very different opinions. But, especially if you have an abnormality in your hips, you do need some clear cut advice on which to base a decision.

I know private consultants are always happier to operate than NHS ones as the NHS has far more patients than operating time. But you need to know on what both consultants are basing their decisions. Do they both think the abnormality exists? Do they differ on whether or not it would make a difference? Might it make the outcome of a THR less clear cut?

I've had two very good results but I'd certainly want more info in your situation. Perhaps you could take the steroid injection to buy you a bit of quality, decision-making time. But don't get carried away by it. They are only a temporary fix.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Edgey_75

thanks for your reply. They both say I have abnormalities in both hips and have both said it’s probably from birth.

I’ve got a phone call in a couple of weeks with the private consultant and so I’ll put forward the questions you’ve mentioned. I think after that I might be able to make more of a decision.

Have you personally had the injections? I’m not against them at all, but I do feel that with the NHS it’s just about prolonging having a hip replacement. Also if I have an injection, I would apparently have to wait 3 months until being able to have a hip replacement 🙈

Its so hard isn’t it, as like most people, I’m trying to work full time, juggle family life and also my social life, but my limp is very prominent and makes it so hard for me to feel normal and confident in going anywhere!

I’m glad you’ve had two good results xx

• Edgey_75

Thanks for your reply! Both consultant agree on me having abnormal hips from birth and both say I have arthritis in the right hip. The NHS consultant said I’ve still got some space between the hip joint and so that’s his reasoning to give me the injections first. He also says he would do key hole surgery instead of a hip replacement, but didn’t elaborate on why.

Have you had the injections yourself? Did they help you? I’m worried that if I have them they still wouldn’t stop me from limping 🤷‍♀️ which is probably my biggest issue in my head.

Also if I have the injections, then I couldn’t have the hip replacement for 3 months 🙄

Ive got a telephone appointment with the private consultant in a couple of weeks and so I’ll put forward the questions you’ve mentioned.

I’m glad to hear you have had 2 good results xxx

• Hi @Edgey_75 It must be worrying for you having had different diagnoses. For the majority of people who have arthritis of the hip, surgery is recommended by the NHS as the last resort after all other treatments have been tried. It is major surgery and the younger you are then you will probably need another replacement in approx 15-20 years, this is another reason why the NHS are reluctant. Hope this helps 🦋

• Edgey_75

@Hbutterfly thanks for your message. I totally understand that it’s a last resort, as it is a major operation and I know replacement hips will only last so many years.

But at the same time surely it’s about quality of life too. I’m a childminder and have 3 children of my own, I’m really struggling to work and do normal things with my own children. I would rather be able to have the hip replacement now, so I can spend quality time with my children while they are still young, plus be able to work without being in pain xxx

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

You're quite right about the steroid jabs meaning an op might have to be postponed.

I, too, thought about my kids. When I had my first TKRs (which came before the THRs) I'd had RA since I was 15. My boys were about 11 and 8. I figured I needed knees more now than I would later at, maybe, 60. I've never regretted it but I must admit, I later found that knees at 60 are quite useful too😉

I've never had hip injections but have had knees and shoulders. I think, basically, the less damage there is the better the injections work. Latterly, mine did very little indeed.

It's a tough decision. One thing I'd emphasise. If you decide to have the op make sure you do the exercises and be very gentle with yourself afterwards. This is a very routine op but it's major surgery and can be ruined by the patient not playing his/her part.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Edgey_75

@stickywicket thank you. X