thumb pain

Options

can anyone help me please. I have severe pain in my thumb joints at the moment...thel base and the middle joints. I was thinking of splinting it but im unsure what are the best ones....any ideas

Comments

• Cath100
    Cath100 Moderator Posts: 40
    Options

Hi @rosie159

Thank you for your message about your thumb pain and other hand pain- this can't be at all nice for you to say the least!

Generally speaking splints although can be helpful are best given by a hand therapist as there can be lots of different ones available and it is important to get the right fit. Is it osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis that is causing it do you know? If you are unsure do just check this with the GP too ( sorry if you do know) . You can also try application of heat or ice covered and put on the area and perhaps although really counterintuitive you might find doing gentle exercises helpful too.

You could ask to get a referral to a hand therapist either from your GP or you rheumatologist, you can find out more here about hand therapists

You can also find out more here about splints

Hope that you find something suitable and get some relief too .

Thankyou for your message and best wishes

Cath100

(Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hello @rosie159 I have arthritis in both my hands and predominantly my thumbs. I have co-codomol to take if needed (mostly at night as it stops me sleeping sometimes) but the doctor also prescribed a cream made from chillies, see link below

Capsaicin | Uses, side-effects | Versus Arthritis

This does provide some temporary relief but be very careful not to get it or your hands near your mouth or eyes. You will know it's made of chillies! Best wishes

• rosie159
    rosie159 Member Posts: 35
    Options

following on for any motorbike riders or cyclists even i have been wearing compression fingerless gloves under my motorbike gloves and they are great very little pain during ruding and afterwards...finally found something that helps! I bought them on ebay for a few quid def worth it!

• Filbert
    Filbert Member Posts: 9
    Options

I’ve just bought a pair of “arthritis gloves” from Boots. Initial experience is positive. Not cheap (£22).

• rosie159
    rosie159 Member Posts: 35
    Options

mine were £5 off ebay!

• Skyedogz
    Skyedogz Member Posts: 2
    Options

@rosie159 Thanks for this tip. I may need to buy bigger gloves to fit something underneath but worth a try.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hi @Skyedogz , I notice that this is your first post - welcome to the online community! I'm glad you're finding the tips from our members useful, and hope you continue to do so.

Why don't you post a bit more about yourself in the Say Hello forum - I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Best wishes,

Anna (Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm