Curious about cause.

Options

Hi. Thanks for letting me join. I was hospitalized for three nights with pneumonia in June. I’m recovering well but symptoms of arthritis have appeared since then and I’ve read of something called infectious arthritis. In addition over the last Easter weekend I was knocked over by a sixty pound Labrador and suffered extensive soft tissue damage to my left knee. I couldn’t walk initially and it took a long time for it to get better. I wondered initially if the trauma of the injury and shock triggered arthritis but now I’ve read about a possible link between arthritis and pneumonia. Has anyone experience of it developing after pneumonia please? Thanks.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    edited 15. Aug 2022, 08:50
    Options

Hello @Confused

welcome to the community, sorry to hear you had pneumonia earlier in the year and I understand your wish to make sense of how you have ended up with arthritis. There are many types of arthritis and in most instances we don't know the causes although some have a familial tendency. Have you seen a rheumatologist or your GP for a clear diagnosis of your type of arthritis? I am guessing as it's a relatively new set of symptoms you haven't seen anyone yet. I would certainly recommend speaking a discussion with your GP first. You are totally right there is a form of arthritis called infectious arthritis or Septic arthritis. You don't mention what symptoms you have so this may not fit.

The other kind of arthritis that happens post infection is Reactive arthritis

Either way speaking to you GP would really be a good place to start. The accident with the Labrador knocking you over sounds awful, these experiences can be hard to heal from. I am sure our amazing members ill also share their experience with you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Confused
    Confused Member Posts: 5
    Options

Many thanks Sharon. I do have an appointment booked to see my GP. I have random fleeting discomfort. One minute it feels as if someone is stabbing a fork in my foot, or my shoulder aches or my hip. My knees are the main problem though as I’m unable to crouch down or kneel for very long and they are stiff when I’ve been sitting for any length of time. Crash landings in the bath are frequent. 🥴 Am better in the mornings though and can walk over a mile with the dog. Thanks again.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 715
    Options

Hi @Confused

I have wondered if there was an link between me firstly having a long series of chest infections in early 2020 and subsequently being diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis(in my case psoriatic arthritis). Weeks after my PsA diagnosis I had yet another chest infection which was classed as pneumonia - the first of 3 such instances. My joints were extremely painful during each bout of pneumonia. There is also this thread from a couple of weeks ago in which member @DRC99 suggested there may be a link between certain antibiotics and inflammatory arthritis.

If you do a google search for 'inflammatory arthritis and antibiotics' there are a number of medical papers that appear to suggest there is a link. Such as this one.

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-019-1394-6

• Confused
    Options

Many thanks Jamie. Will look at the links. I hope you’re able to manage your symptoms so they aren’t too debilitating.

• Confused
    Options

Interesting reads. Homeopaths believe there is a link to many conditions and if a patient presents with a history of taking anti biotics they often prescribe an antidote before prescribing anything else. Note the last paragraph in this article which mentions antibiotics consumption via animal consumption. 🙈