Hello everyone, I am happy to find a support group and to meet you all.

Options
Azzak
Azzak Member Posts: 9
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with arthritis in 2007 so some 15 years ago at the age of 43. I consider myself to have been really lucky to be honest as I moved to a new position at this time, they were happy to take me on still although I had informed them of my diagnosis. The last couple of years have grown progressively hard and the heat over the last few weeks have been really difficult. I just wondered if anyone can share their tips to help?

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Azzak

welcome to the community, lovely to have you here and so glad to hear your workplace has been supportive. So what tips would you like to hear about?☺️

Here is a section on living with arthritis which cover the basics of day to day life. But we like a challenge here so what were you thinking of?

I am sure our members will be interested to hear about your experience and tips for work as well

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Azzak
    Options

Thank you Sharon and everyone for your welcome.

My apologies if this is a long post but I wanted to add some feedback about how helpful just joining this group has been and to respond to the question regarding my experiences at work.

Interestingly, just after joining this group, I went over to the FB page and the first post I seen was on Psoriatic Arthritis, I had never heard of this condition, I had also wondered prior to seeing this post if I had Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis and was compiling a message to my doctor's surgery to this effect, but this post made me stop in my tracks and re-think. This is because I have intermittently had bouts of Psoriasis and Alopecia Areata, lasting a couple of years plus, following which I was diagnosed with an Auto-Immune disorder. I don't know how other's GP surgeries are set up but at ours you are a patient of the practice and rarely see the same GP so I didn't join the dots, I don't expect the GP to as they are so overworked and do not have time to trail back over years of notes prior to every appointment so thank you, within a few minutes of joining this group I have another avenue to explore with my GP at my next appointment.

Work were very supportive, I do work for a local council. When I was off work for some time I was referred to a physiotherapist and upon my return I was given a workstation assessment to ensure that the equipment I had was suitable for my condition, I was encouraged, actually instructed :) to take the necessary breaks away from my workstation as set out by my chiropractor and physiotherapist, I have a written workplan in support of this, and was promised that at no time would I be put under so much work pressure that I was unable to take the necessary breaks, at no point was I made to feel uncomfortable about the situation. Taking the necessary breaks has not been possible over the last week or so and I am 3 managers down the line from the promise made at that time but I monitor it myself and I was sure that when I raised an issue, as I did on Friday, I would be supported.

My understanding is that Arthritis is considered a disability under the DDA as it is a degenerative disease and my employees absolutely adhere to the terms of the DDA.

I hope this helps.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Hi Azzak,

It's lovely to read such a positive story of employers and, indeed, such a grateful one from an employee. I'm pleased all is going well on that front.

As for the 'might I have PsA' bit? You might. You might not. I think, after so long, you'd have been in a worse way because of not having any Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) but I do think it's definitely a good plan to read up on it here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/ and then see your GP. (yes, they are very busy but this is important). You could print off some of what's on the link to show them. Many GPs will do a blood test to check for inflammatory forms of arthritis such as RA and PSA but don't seem to know that PsA, and even some people's RA, are not sero-positive. They get a negative blood test and think you don't need to see a rheumatologist. You might not but better to be sure.

Finally, I'm not sure about diseases being classed as disabilities. I think it's how it affects us rather than what we have. Great that your employers are helpful, though. Good luck and let's know how things go for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Azzak
    Options

Follow up. My bloods came back as non-inflammatory, this may have been because of the time taken to get the blood test...a few weeks and so past the flare up, not sure as I don't understand. I am being referred for a hip injection for Bursitis in my right hip, having said that the pain is in both hips and right groin, again I don't quite understand. I am awaiting results of an x-ray on my pelvis to see how lumbar arthritis has progressed, I also have been confirmed as having narrowing exiting foramina bilaterally impinging on the root nerve and have been offered a consultation with a Spinal Orthopedic Surgeon or pain management. This explains the numbness down my arms and into my little fingers. I'm not sure how I feel about this but will arrange an appointment to discuss the op and the risks.

Still managing to work 8 hour plus days but can't lie I'm struggling quite a bit.

And to add insult to injury my darn wisdom teeth are giving me pain....sorry but you know you have to add some levity. I'm quite a positive person mostly, okay the occasional down times when I feel sorry for myself or my husband bless him. Keep Calm and Carry on!!!