Osteomalacia and Epilepsy

Jerrers
Jerrers Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello Everyone 

I suffer from sporadic epileptic seizures, every couple of years of late. One of my main drugs I have been taking over the years has been Phenytoin. Now I know the box comes with a leaflet telling you what you can expect, but we all say to ourselves "not going to be me" dont we? 

I'd like to hear from anyone who may suffer from this condition, and to find out how it has affected their lifestyle. I'm a pretty active sporty person at 55 years old, and after my latest seizure, I have found that my bones in my wrists are extremely painful 

Thanks for taking the time to read my short story, and I look forward to hearing from some of you. 

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Jerrers

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a safe and friendly space where you can make new friends.

So you suffer from sporadic epileptic seizures and are treated with phenytoin tablets for this, along with some others. One of the possible side effects of this drug is osteoporosis. After your last seizure, you have found that your wrists have become very painful. Your looking to speak to other people with the same condition as you are interested in hearing how they manage their condition, as well as any advice they can give you and how it effects their lifestyle. You are an active person and enjoy playing sports.

I'm sure that you will get plenty of help and support from your fellow members. How long ago were you diagnosed with Osteomalacia and are you receiving any treatment? After your most recent seizure and your now wrist pain, I was wondering if you had seen your doctor? If so, I would advise that you get it checked out, especially since the wrist pain is so severe.

I was able to find the following information for you while you wait to get other comments from the members. I think they will be of interest to you so please do give them a read when you have the chance.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to join in within the community. We are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)