Options
Linda122
Linda122 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm new to the group and keen to hear any words of wisdom and support.

I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and am feeling apprehensive about the future. I live with my hubby and he has been great with cooking etc., but I miss my independence. I've got osteoarthritis in both knees and am waiting for a knee replacement. I used to enjoy getting out in my car but I can't manage gear changes now.

How do you manage?

Linda122

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Linda122 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis as well as your existing osteoarthritis. Have you had a look at our website? It contains a lot of useful information on arthritis, treatments and Hints and Tips. To help I've put a couple of links in below which may be of use.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

Hi @Linda122

Lovely to meet you.

I'm so sorry about your recent diagnosis on top of your knee OA. Of course you are feeling scared about the future we all were when it was new to us. getting informed (NHS here not Dr google!) is essential and continuing to talk is too. I hope you have or will soon be starting on some medication to dampen down the disease.

It sounds as though you have a great husband (like my own) who is doing a good job, but you are missing your independence.

Coming here and chatting to us can be something 'just for you'. Helping other people by sharing your own experience reminds us that we are valuable members of society too because we ARE!

Your car though. Have you thought about looking into an automatic vehicle? A few of us also have mobility scooters I don't know if either of those is an option for you?

Sending some ((())) and hope you keep posting

Toni x

• Bettyboo22
    Bettyboo22 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi @Linda122

Lovely to see you on here :)

I would agree with @frogmorton, most people transfer from a manual car to an automatic and this really helps them keep their independence without the pain of changing gears and constantly pressing the clutch. It makes a huge difference.

Best wishes

Betty

• Linda122
    Linda122 Member Posts: 4
    Options

@frogmorton thanks for the advice, especially about the automatic car.

To answer your question, I have been given methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

A good combo @Linda122 one many of us are on. I hope it works although it can take months to unfortunately.

You know I remember struggling with the fact that these meds were for ever not just a 'course' like with antibiotics in the past or a one-off like paracetamol for a headache.

Do keep posting have a look and see if you can join in one of the other threads you can probably support someone else.

Take care Linda

Toni x