Recently diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my knee

Options
Sal259
Sal259 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

9 weeks ago I knelt down to get a sandwich box out of a cupboard and my knee started to swell. Since then I’ve been in horrendous pain. 40 years ago I had my cartilage removed from knee as it was torn - something that wouldn’t happen these days. I have managed my knee since then by keeping my thigh muscles strong and staying active. For the last 9 weeks I haven’t been able to bend or straighten my knee and I’m unable to bear weigh on it. I have been told that I need a total knee replacement but that could be months away. My question is how do I regain my ability to walk? I am using crutches at the moment. I am also unable to sit at a desk for any length of time so I’m unable to work. To go from a very active life to being so immobile is very hard to cope with. I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 104
    Options

Hi @Sal259 Its lovely to see you posting here on the online community.

You are experiencing pain in your knee and are currently unable to bend or straighten it, and have been advised that you need knee replacement surgery, but that this could be some time.

The current waiting lists for elective surgery are long and it can be difficult for many people stuck in pain. You have been doing the right thing trying to keep the joint moving but if you have been experiencing more pain recently definitely speak to your GP about pain management and a possible referral to a pain clinic. The professionals there have a lot of experience with chronic pain and should be able to help you a lot. 

I've included a couple of links that you may find useful, I'd particularly look at the Managing Symptoms section, as it's got some useful ideas:

Also Versus Arthritis have done a campaign over the past couple of years now - Impossible to Ignore - on behalf of people waiting for surgeries. Some of the information there may be helpful.

Please keep in touch, hopefully some of our members will be able to give you some good advice

Take care

Helen, Admin

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm