Exercise

Options

I have a meniscus tear in my left knee and arthritis in left knee and left and right foot . I exercise using a stationary bike and use ball to roll under my feet . The physio has given me exercises to do for my feet, ankles and knee. . 

Lately as I walk my left knee is really hurting to walk on it is better when I use my walking stick . I was supposed to be having an appointment to have a look at repairing my meniscus months ago .but not happened yet .should I carry on with exercises and walking or just give up. 

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi @Twirlywoo5 , It's never a good idea to give up on exercise, we need to keep moving and keep our muscles toned to support our worn out joints. If we give up, we seize up. Not good. I'd go back to your physio with this one. You may need to change the exercises you do, and they can also do a letter to your GP if necessary, explaining this latest development, if the GP needs to refer you for further treatment or more meds. Chase up your GP about your referral for the meniscus repair while you're at it. It won't do any harm.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 719
    Options

Hi @Twirlywoo5

I'd agree with @Lilymary that exercise is vital to keep your muscles from wasting. I'd a football injury in 1987 which resulted in my knee joint opening too much and the meniscus folding over. It was misdiagnosed initially and it was 4 weeks before I had an operation to remove it. I ended up on crutches for 4 months and lost about 60mm of thigh muscle and 30mm of calf muscle. I needed physio for almost 2 years afterwards. Coincidentally the first sign of my soon to be diagnosed psoriatic arthritis in 2020 was the same knee swelling significantly. Since the meniscus removal I'd used an elasticated knee support on and off at times over the years when necessary and felt that helped. Since the swelling in 2020 I use a knee support continuously as I feel it keeps the knee from buckling. I think the non-impact cycling exercise is a good way to retain muscle but I'd agree that it'd be best to check with a physio first to ensure you are not doing further damage.