Osteotomy - your experiences please

Options

Hi everyone,

I had a left total hip replacement at the beginning of March 22 and at my 6 week review all seemed good. However, by the end of April my left leg would no longer straighten and now rotates inwards too making me knock kneed. Another orthopaedic surgeon has advised me that my previously planned left knee replacement will not correct this and that the only 2 options are to leave it as it is or undergo an osteotomy of the femur, just above the knee.

As you can well imagine this is a big and fairly daunting decision for me to make. I don’t know anybody who has undergone this procedure and would appreciate any advice and information that any of you could provide if you have had a similar experience. I feel that this will enable me to make a more informed decision.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. 😊

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 222
    Options

Hello @Lanny it does sound like you have a big decision to make. I was wondering if the consultant could put you in touch with a support group or maybe someone who has had it done (I realise there is patient confidentiality, but always worth an ask)

Hope it goes OK for you whatever you decide

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

The joys of being one of those who has the "rare outcomes" they warn us about pre-op. I'm sorry yours hasn't been straight forward. It sounds like this is a particularly unusual case, and not one I've come across on this site before. I think the best person to talk this through with is your surgeon. While it may be unusual, he will be best place to discuss possible outcomes, recovery times etc. You could also try calling the helpline on here and see if they can point you in the direction of anyone else.