25 with Osteoarthritis

Options
ToldTooYoung
ToldTooYoung Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi!!

I have been living with back and hip pain for 3 years, recently got diagnosed with “multi level degeneration of the lumbar spine” aka “DDD” aka “Osteoarthritis”!

I am on multiple pain medications and awaiting steroid injections then denervation, if the injections work. I would like to connect with others in a similar situation to help me come to terms with my pain. All I hear from people is “you are far too young” “have you injured yourself” or “you are just giving up” especially when they see me with my mobility aids. I would like a little reassurance or just to have a conversation with someone who is well informed!

2 years ago I had a lumbar MRI which was apparently completely healthy, but when I had my one recently OA has progressed so suddenly without even knowing I had it! Has this happened to others? I am really worried what the future will bring as I have gone from occasional pain to constant pain, mobility aids and a lack of independence!

thanks 😊

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @ToldTooYoung and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have been diagnosed with OA in your spine, are taking pain relief medication with steroids and denervation scheduled thereafter.  Understandably you are concerned about what the future holds and would like to hear from others who have been through a similar scenario and can provide some positive reassurance.

This link to our website many provide some useful information:

Perhaps more useful to you is this link to a section of our community that is targeted at your age group (20s and 30s) where you may wish to post again/further:

I hope that you can connect with others who are able to provide some reassurance as to the future.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as 'too young for arthritis' though, admittedly, most 'young 'uns' have an inflammatory form, not OA. I was diagnosed at 15 with RA. We've had parents of 2 yr olds on here.

A fellow RA sufferer, way back in the '80s, wrote a book entitled 'Arthritis, at Your Age?' as that's what we got all the time. I believe it's still freely available online.

I guess you'll find the above links useful. I'd just add a question - I presume you've seen a rheumatologist and been tested for Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)? It's a sero-negative form of arthritis so GPs don't always realise that the blood tests they do could still mean inflammatory arthritis. An MRI scan usually tells the truth, though.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright