What to expect 9 weeks post-op THR from orthotics & pain

Options

Hi, first post here! I'm almost 9 weeks post-op from a THR of my left hip and my 8-week check-up this week with the consultant was cancelled with no idea of when it'll happen.

At my physio appointment last week I was referred to orthotics because of a substantial leg length difference the physio could see was affecting my ability to do the exercises. I'm pleased about the referral but have no idea how long it'll take (I'm in east London) and can't help feeling that it might be connected to the ongoing pain I have in my left thigh.

I still can't put my weight on my leg to go up and down the stairs due to pain and a section of my thigh is numb. I don't know if this is 'normal' - I had a ceramic, uncemented joint on a plastic stem (COP)

I don't have any pain from my joint, but I do have back pain for the first time and shooting leg pain which is sometimes constant. Am I just unlucky or have others experienced anything similar? Does it ever go away? I'd love to hear from others. thank you

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @alouis

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us! I hope that you will find this a friendly space where you can make lots of new friends.

So you are 9 weeks post op from a total left hip replacement. You should have had your 8 week check up with the consultant this week but it was cancelled but you have been referred to orthotics by your physiotherapist after they found that one of your legs is substantially shorter than the other and is affecting you being able to do the exercises given. You are in quite a bit of pain with your left thigh and can still not fully weight bare when going up and down the stairs. You also now have back pain and shooting leg pain which is sometimes constant. You are wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Well it sounds like you have had a lot going on recently. That's great news though that your physio picked up on your issue with the length of your legs. I know that sometimes it can take a while for that to even be considered after an operation. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to be seen. As for the pain you are experiencing, did you mention this to your GP or the physio? If not, it may be worth doing so, especially since your 8 week follow u was cancelled. When I had my left hip replaced I was left with some numbness in my thigh but was told this was quite common due to the nerves being cut during the operation.

I have found some information that I have attached below which you may find useful, so please do take a look when you get the chance.

I'm sure once other members see your post, they will be able to give you their experiences also. Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to keep getting involved in the community. We are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• alouis
    alouis Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you this Anne, despite knowing literally millions of people go through this most common of procedures it’s easy to feel a bit alone. I’m truly grateful for my new hip and don’t want to moan as I do feel lucky to have had my op when so many people are still waiting.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

You really need to see someone who can give you professional advice. We're all different in our recoveries from orthopaedic ops. A discrepancy in leg length is not unheard of but you really can't just wait on orthotics for advice as that could take weeks and you need to know how to proceed with your exercises etc.

I have a big difference in leg lengths catered for by my surgical shoes but I'm surprised if you can't do your exercises. I can see the difficulty with the standing ones but not the others. What did the physio advise? It's difficult because doing too much or doing too little can be equally bad. Could you contact either your physio or consultant for advice?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alouis
    alouis Member Posts: 5
    edited 21. Aug 2022, 13:44
    Options

Hi @stickywicket thank you for your comments. I was asked to do squats where you stand and sit (without actually sitting) on a chair. I wasn't able to put my weight equally on my left and right leg and stand-up straight. The physio measured the difference properly I think feeling for the top of my bone and the difference is apparently a few millimetres, but when measured thigh to the foot, its over an inch. I hope that makes sense!

She gave me more strengthening exercises using rubber bands. She did say she thought that stronger muscles in my thigh and buttocks would probably reduce the difference over time. Lying down on my non-operated hip, I'm completely unable to lift my operated hip - she didn't ask me to do that, but I'm worried that I can't actually move it upwards at all. I don't think I'll get any joy from the hospital/consultant. I think they've ticked the 'THR box' and moved on, I would be surprised now if I have any follow-up at all. My GP is however excellent, and I think I'll ask her to help me follow-up.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I agree, squats are difficult with a leg discrepancy. I'm never sure whether mine achieve anything or not.

Re the upward lift - can you lie on the bed and do it sideways instead? I'm sure the upwards way is best but sideways is surely better than nothing. That way your leg / hip is supported.

That's a good plan to get your GP on board. My own have been great in the past.

Please let's know how you get on.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright