Has my cancer treatment advanced osteoarthritis

Options

Hi I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in hips knees feet toes and slight spine. Could My chemo or radiotherapy have advanced osteoarthritis as since stopping treatment in 2021 my osteoarthritis has hit my bad with awful pain and restricted mobility. Gill

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Bobster (Gill) Welcome to the online Community.

I see from your post that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in your, spine, hips, knees, feet and toes. You say you finished cancer treatment in 2021 and it seems your Osteoarthritis has worsened considerably since then.

First of all I will say we are not medically qualified as moderators, but I have been moderating this online community for some years now and read a lot of posts as you can imagine. I have read posts by whose Arthritis really improves while they are having their cancer treatment.

If you are still being followed up by oncology maybe this is a question you could ask them?

I hope our members might have some comments to make, but in the meantime I am popping a link in about Osteoarthritis which you might find of interest:

Please do take a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Good morning Gill @Bobster

Lovely to meet you.

I also remember people old members who felt less pain in their joints due to their treatment for cancer. It could easily be something like the steroids did you have them? Dexamethasone maybe? when you had your chemo?

Many of us are given steroids for our Arthritis which short term can be really helpful with pain and inflammation.

So I am wondering whether the treatment actually masked the worsening of your arthritis? Dose that make sense?

In your shoes I would definitely ask a medical person's opinion and lso try to get more help with you OA.

Take care

Toni x