Osteoarthritis in hip

Options

My docs given me Naproxen. Anyone else find it helpful? I get terrible groin pain which they say is connected. Also physio when i get an appointment, went before but didnt really help

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @Tobymitzy

People here seem to really rate Naproxen (I can't take it myself due to a bad stomach) my daughter swears by it.

I hear over and over people with groin pain it is definitely a real clue that it's your hip that's in trouble.

Hope the naproxen helps you a lot best of luck

Toni x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I was on cocodamol and naproxen pre hip replacement, with omeprazole to protect my stomach from the naproxen. I couldn't manage at all without them, and tolerated both well, (although I know some don't). The cocodamol is primarily analgesia, whereas the naproxen reduces inflammation, so they work hand in hand. In some cases reducing the inflammation is all that's needed to manage the pain, if inflammation itself is the cause.

Don't underestimate the benefits of physio. My physio acknowledges that most people give up with it after a few weeks as it's so boring and we don't feel the effects for ages. But do stick with it! It takes 2-3 months to take effect, and people I know who do as they're told and keep it up really see the benefit. It's a lot less painful than surgery and has zero side effects, unlike drugs.

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hi @Tobymitzy I have tried Naproxen (Diclofenac used to be the one that really worked for me, but Docs will no longer prescribe it). With Naproxen I have found that you have to take it a while to really help and also I have Co-codomol for more immediate relief. As Lilymary says physio can be a great help, but you need to keep at it.

Hope you get some relief soon.

• Newy
    Newy Member Posts: 4
    Options

I was taking Naproxen, it’s very effective but I found it made me drowsy. I’ve weaned myself off it and am on paracetamol and nurofen only now, plus TENS machine once a day. Occasionally I need a 15mg codeine at night. I have OA in right hip and knee, severe in hip and moderate in knee.

• Fizzandbubbles
    Options

hello, May I join in? Do you find the TENS machine effective?

• Manningj
    Manningj Member Posts: 13
    Options

I’ve been suffering for 6 months now with hip pain.

Although I’ve tried to do without it, I’m now taking Naproxen twice a day. It really helps. I’ve also just started doing the exercises from the physio. As has already been said, they are boring, but I’m going to try and persevere. I’m also using Nordic walking poles so I can go on longer walks.

Hope you find something that helps!