Hello - newly diagnosed

Options
Jane68
Jane68 Member Posts: 30
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 54.

I've got a few weeks of taking Prednisolone left before I have to start either Methotrexate, Sulphasalazine or Leflunamide.

I wondered if anyone has had bad nausea and vomiting with any of them as I keep reading this can happen. I've got a phobia about being sick and am worried about which to choose.

Thank you 🙂

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Jane68

welcome to the community. I hope the Prednisolone is giving you some relief. Being newly diagnosed can be very daunting so be gentle with yourself. There will be so much for you to take on board at the moment. Unfortunately it is quite common to experience nausea on Methotrexate but not everyone does. I didn't when I was on it. I found this discussion about it for you. There are things that can help. It would be worth discussing it with your rheumatology nurse.

Sulphasalazine and Leflunamide are similar in that they can cause nausea but again this usually settles quite quickly. As you have a phobia I would certainly recommend speaking to your rheumatology nurse or your GP about how to manage this. It's important to be as honest as possible and look after yourself. Keep us updated

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Jane68
    Options

Thanks Sharon, that's kind - I'll have a look. It's hard accepting this is what I have and i keep putting off making a decision, but this will help 🙂

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Jane68

MTX is a great drug you know for a lot of us. I think what it does (personally) is make us very tired and that can make us feel queasy. There are things you can do anyway.

Timing - I think before bed for me so some is slept off before I wake and make it a day when I don't have to get up early the next day. Getting enough rest is key I really think.

Things I think ease nausea are for me things like (unhealthily) vegan pasties/sausage rolls. Some swear by fish and chips on here! When I was veggie a cheese and onion pasty was fabulous.

Finally there are meds they can give you - folic acid can mitigate any side effects speak to your team about this.

Oh yes and some take their MTX via injection which can also help.

There is such thing as anticipatory nausea though you know so mindset can help. I have to agree with Sharon you have to talk to your rheumatology team before proceeding ((()))

Take care

toni xx

• Jane68
    Options

Thanks Toni. I need to find out how to get an appointment with rheumatology team as I had to pay privately to get diagnosis after my own Dr assured me it wasn't RA and suggested I take ibruprofen 3 x a day for 3 months to cope with pain.

It's nice to hear that side effects are manageable 🙂