Office chairs

Options
CaroBell
CaroBell Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I have age-related osteoarthritis in both hips. I've just had one hip replaced. I am a writer so I sit and work on a lap top. Prior to op I could only sit on one specific hard dining room chair which wasn't that comfortable! with my new hip I want more comfort so I've been looking at office chairs using orthopaedic or hip/back relief as filters - I am still overwhelmed with choice! And some are way too expensive. It's early days and I am still using crutches so I simply can't go and try out loads of chairs without a lot of pain but I need a good chair now. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @CaroBell Welcome to the Online Community.

I see from your post that you have Osteoarthritis in both hips and have had one hip replaced. You are seeking any tips anyone might have for a comfortable chair.

This is a very interesting subject I can imagine the choice is huge and the price range wide too. While you wait for someone to come along I wonder whether this might be helpful:

It's not 100% work chair related, but might help a bit.

Now that you have introduced yourself please do take a look around the site and join in anywhere you might feel comfortable. Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular.

Best wishes

Ellen

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I've learnt the hard way (my usual method!) not to buy anything without trying it first. I think in your situation I'd either:

Wait until I could go out and try some, meanwhile finding a comfy cushion for what you have. Try any decent disability store for this.

Or

Find a local disability store which will bring some to you to try. Some will.

Or

Buy from a store that will let you return it if not suitable. John Lewis are pretty good at this but also many disability shops.

Or

My husband uses his laptop a lot and did so before and after his two THRs from his riser recliner.

Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options

I have a rather comfy wedge cushion which cost next to nothing form a well known online retailer @CaroBell It comes with me everywhere. My car, husbands van, this chair I'm on now.....

I have to agree with @stickywicket please to try before you buy😊 Good luck

Toni x