Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis

Options

Hello,

I'm new here and don’t really know what to do or where to go. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis around 2 year’s ago and I was put on hydroxychloroquine which I’m still taking now. I was also given these large orange tablet’s that I had to progressively up the dose ( I can’t remember the name)…these were awful and made me so sick I stopped taking them. I work 48/60 hour’s a week as a healthcare assistant and I can no longer cope with the pain and exhaustion that my body is now feeling. I do 12 hour shift’s and if I work 3 day’s in a row I’m in bed for 2 and I’m just sleeping or in pain constantly. I’m very emotional right now because I fear I won’t be able to carry on like this anymore but the thought of not working and being trapped in a body that has broken down and failed me frightens me and is making me feel depressed. I don’t know where to turn too and I’m afraid If I have to give up work my mental health will decline and I will be alone.

Comments

• janey4
    janey4 Administrator Posts: 45
    Options

Morning @Tara76 . A very warm welcome to the Online Community. It is great to have you on board. We are a great friendly bunch and so glad you have reached out and joined us 😊

It sounds like you are going through so much and glad you have reached out to us. You have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and having arthritis conditions can certainly make us feel very alone and unsure what the future will hold. You are working long hours as a healthcare assistant and now struggling with the pain and exhaustion. However, it is important to remember that your employer does have a duty of care to look at reasonable adjustments to help you in the workplace and there are many things out there to help as well such as Access to Work.

Also it is important to talk to your GP about how you are feeling and reach out for support and you may find it helpful to talk to our Helpline as well for advice and to be able to have someone to chat things through with.

Do post on our living with arthritis page and get support from others as well.

Best wishes

Jane

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Hi @Tara76 and welcome from me too.

I'd guess that the 'large orange tablets' were sulfasalazine. Like hydroxychloroquine it's a Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drug (DMARD). They work, as the name implies, by reducing the disease activity. Hydroxy is quite mild: sulf stronger. You clearly need something stronger than the hydroxy as it sounds as if your disease is out of control right now. Do ring your rheumatology helpline for advice. The sooner you can get on more meds the better.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright