Help pls

Options
Ajk
Ajk Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I'm 52 just diagnosed unexpectedly with osteoarthritis in hands. My friends say I'm going to end up with hands like claws. Gp referring me to hospital but could take 6months &kept saying how young I was. I don't know what to do to manage it other than pain relief. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Ajk welcome to the online community,

You have been diagnosed with OA in your hands and are wondering if there are any ways to manage this alongside pain relief. Numbers of our members have arthritis in their hands and I am sure will be able to share their experiences with you. The VA website has various pages of information and links to You Tube videos for some very useful and popular exercise programmes. I attach links to some of these

Keeping our joints as healthy and flexible as possible is crucial and when the pain is great some members use heat/cool packs to offer some relief. There are also personal and household aids which give additional support if your strength or grip is weaker at times. Do take the opportunity to browse round the community and join in with us again soon.

I hope that you do not have to wait for too long for a consultation.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53
    Options

How are you getting on?

I try warm water soak to help with pain relief. Then under water do finger and wrist exercises to keep them as flexible as possible . Capsaicin cream is often recommended - it has to be prescribed though.

Any news on an appointment? You can always try phoning the consultants secretary and ask for a cancellation slot.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Well those aren't the most helpful of friends are they?

claws indeed! What a scary thing to say to someone.

Sadly 52 isn't at all young we have people here who have had OA since their 20s probably even younger.

There is a lot you can do to make your life easier though and protect your hands.

@janiebin is right about warm water I have a friend whose physio recommended natural sponge to squeeze under water. Some people use wax baths too.

Another very sensible suggestion is to look after your hands. Carry heavy bags on your forearm for instance look at getting bits to make life easier. Jar openers, can openers, key turners, plug pulls etc.

All available online easily enough if you google them.

Take care

Toni x