Pain

Options
Annehills
Annehills Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,I am having rt hip replacement in oct,I have had severe groin,hip pain for a few years now but the pain in my left hip seems to have almost disappeared but I have the same severe pain in my left hip,I had xray in april which showed no oa just wondered if anyone has experienced this,I have been told it may be because of the way I walk and over use non affected hip

Thanks

Anne

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Annehills

A warm welcome to the online Community.

I see from your post that you are having your right hip replaced in October and although it hurts in a very similar way when your left hip was X-rayed in April it was clear of Osteoarthritis.

This is very interesting. I am not medically qualified, but your own explanation that you have probably been walking 'favouring' the healthier hip (an antalgic gait) may have made that one feel sore does make some sense. If it is the case it would be nice to think that maybe that pain would go once you have recovered from your surgery.

I wonder whether you have read this information. One or two parts are more relevant in your situation 'Advantages' and 'Preparation' spring to mind, but if you have time do read all of it. I think it's really useful.

I hope you'll decide to stay and maybe share your THR journey with us as others have like @RogerBill

While you're here do take a look around the forum and join in anywhere you fancy; Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular you will be made very welcome.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @Annehills

Nice to meet you welcome to the forum from me too.

I hope your hip op goes really well and that after it does both hips are happy again. We do tend to walk (I call it) a bit wonky when we are in pain so hopefully the X-rays do reflect the state of your left hip accurately.

Do let us know how you get on

Take care

Toni x