Options
Edgey_75
Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 884
    Options

Hello @Edgey_75 please post and let us know how you are and if you need any help

Kind regards

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

You ok @Edgey_75 ?

Toni x

• Edgey_75
    Options

Hi,

I’m good thanks, confused 😐 but good.

I’m going for a cortisone injection in my hip on Wednesday to see if it helps with my pain.

I feel torn between family members telling me what I should do! My husband hates seeing how badly my condition affects me and is pushing for me to have a hip replacement privately, but I’ve my Mum and other family members telling me not to go for the operation if I don’t need it 🤷‍♀️🙈

The thing is “How do I decide what I NEED?”

It’s so easy for people looking in, who aren’t coping with arthritis and the day to day living, to have opinions on what we should do.

Anyway, like I say, I’m going for this cortisone shot on Wednesday and I’ll let you know how I get on.

xx

• HipHipReplacement
    Options

Good luck!

I had a whole bunch of them in both hips (I think about ten occasions total), and the early ones really did provide some good relief for a while. Just make sure you take it very easy for the 24-48 hours after.

With regards to the replacement, only you know when it's time. I definitely waited too long, and my rehab is much more drawn out because of that. That's not even taking into account the pain. From my personal experience, when your quality of life drops, when you're needing a lot of painkillers every day, that's when. Accepting it mentally was the hardest for me, at 25 being told it's imminent was a difficult pill to swallow, took me several years to accept that. Like you I had a lot of outside opinions on it. Folk really don't understand how much that can affect you.

I've digressed massively, but if you have any questions etc I'd be happy to answer.

• Edgey_75
    Options

@HipHipReplacement thank you for replying.

How old were you when you actually had your hip replacement then?

Also, how much was it impacting on your life leading up to the replacement?

x

• HipHipReplacement
    Options

Stuck it out until 35. Although I would've been 33 if it was done when I initially got the date that COVID cancelled. I think if I was sensible I would've had it done about 29/30 but I was still able to load up on painkillers and play football.

As for impact, hugely. I couldn't really move anymore. I was on two walking sticks if it was a small shuffle, or a wheelchair if it was any longer. My right hip had collapsed so it would lock into place which was terrible.

My left one also needs doing, and in an ideal world I'd have it tomorrow. I can't bend or rotate it too much so I still have problems putting socks on or tying my shoes. Delaying the operation too much increases the rehab too, as I'm currently experiencing.