Paisley22
Paisley22 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello.

Would like some help and guidance please.

My mum has recently started taking Salazopyrin, and on her 3rd week of treatment. She is suffering with, sickness, tummy upset, loss of appetite etc.

What can she do to ease the side effects and tolerate her new regime.

Many thanks

Lesley

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883

Hello @Paisley22 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that your Mum has been prescribed Salazopyrin and has some side effects and looking for advice. Have you had a look at our website? It contains a lot of useful information which may be of interest. I've put a link below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Paisley22
    Paisley22 Member Posts: 3

Thank you Peter.

All new to us so will have a look through the website for some helpful hints and tips.

Thanks again.

Lesley

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709

Usually these things settle down but....

If your Mum isn't currently taking a stomach-protector such as lansoprazole or omeprazole it might be worth asking her GP if he/she would be happy to prescribe one. And/or she could ask her local pharmacist for advice. They're a mine of useful info. If the worst comes to the worst, her rheumatologist could always stop the sulfasalazine and start her on another DMARD but that delays the effect on the arthritis so best avoided if possible.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright