My mum has arthritis

Lowie Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis


My mum has arthritis. It's come in very quickly, since the second lockdown really. What extra help does she qualify for?


  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,688
    edited 30. Aug 2022, 08:07

    Hi to you @Lowie it's lovely to meet you and I must say very supportive of you to sign up to help your Mum who has had a sudden diagnosis of Arthritis.

    You ask what help she qualifies for. First of if you take a look at this page it has so much information in it you can decide what is most useful for your Mum's situation:

    I suggest 'managing your symptoms' and 'treatments' might be most useful, but you know her best.

    Secondly this is information about financial support:

    If you have any other questions please do ask our members will do their best to help if they can

    Best wishes


  • Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

    Hi @Lowie ,

    it can be a bit of a battle at times to get the financial help you need and arthritis is a battle in itself my son has been with me through all of my struggles and I know emotionally it has affected him so you must take care of you too look after your mental well being I honestly don’t know what I would have done without him

    take care 💐

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,730

    I'm not sure what you mean.

    If you mean financial benefits, we don't get them because we have arthritis but because of how it affects us. It can be long haul.

    You could try contacting your mother's local Adult Social Care Dept. at her local council offices. They will probably help with eg grab rails and a pick-up stick free of charge but more costly things eg a walk-in shower or bath lift require means testing.

    Home grocery deliveries (most supermarkets do them now) make a huge difference and there are lots of helpful gadgets available on any disability site.

    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,618

    Hi @Lowie

    Lovely to see someone helping their Mum l agree with Ellen. Jona is proof how much help our adult children can be.

    Look at the article Ellen has given you. Your Mum might be entitled to ESA if she is unable to work because of her Arthritis. If it is limiting her ability to to personal care or to walk she might be eligible for PIP if shes under retirement age or DLA if shes over that age.

    Best of luck

    Toni xx