Disheartened Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) newbie :(

Options
kii
kii Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi All,

Very grateful for this forum as I feel as though the majority of people around me really don't understand me. I was diagnosed last year with PsA at age 33, firstly affecting my right hand which made life frustrating, luckily some NSAIDs seemed to do the trick. Fast forward to Jan 2022 and I could feel my feet experiencing similar pain. This has become progressively worse to the point where I cannot sit or stand without feeling consistent pain in my feet. I have really tried to persevere and push on but I am finding it incredibly difficult, lonely and isolating. I find going to the gym incredibly difficult (use to do boxing but can't position my feet), standing for longer than an hour or so is unheard of. Every now and again I tell myself that I can find ways round it, until life hits me in the face and I can no longer do so many of the activities I used to because my feet are in incredible pain (e.g. bursting into tears in yoga today). I am under the care of a rheumatologist but haven't had any luck with prescriptions easing pain or symptoms. Any advice or tips are welcomed - I really just want to be able to use my feet :(

Comments

• janey4
    janey4 Administrator Posts: 45
    Options

Hi @kii and a very warm welcome to our online community. We are a great friendly bunch here and hope you will find answers and a great area to chat to others

Living with a long term condition and pain can cause emotional challenges as well as physical and as others cannot see your pain and how you are feeling, yes completely understand others don't seem to understand. You are experiencing pain which is getting worse in your feet and have really tried but finding it difficult, lonely and isolating. It can be hard to find medication that works and sometimes you have to try several different ones before finding something that does help, but keep talking to your rheumatology department and reaching out to talk to others. Try posting through living with arthritis

Best wishes

Janey

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

The links that Mod @janey4 has given are very useful, especially the one on PsA.

I note that you mention NSAIDS but write also '. I am under the care of a rheumatologist but haven't had any luck with prescriptions easing pain or symptoms. ' I presume you mean DMARDS. DMARDS can take up to 3 months to work but they will control the disease whereas NSAIDS will only help with pain and inflammation. I don't know how long you tried each DMARD or which you tried but, although it can be frustratingly long, it really is the only way to slow down disease progress. Why not give your rheumatology helpline a ring?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kii
    kii Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks @stickywicket appreciate the guidance on DMARDs and efficacy timelines. I have tried one- I was on it for 5 weeks and got progressively worse in both my right hand and feet from a mobility and pain perspective. I was advised to up dosage and started to feel numbness in my legs therefore was advised to stop use. I have spoke to the helpline and been given an injection to try to help with pain but have been advised I will now need to wait for an appointment with my rheumatologist which is in October.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

I'm afraid that's how it is with most medical appointments these days. And only a rheumatologist can prescribe DMARDS. You could tell them you're able to take a cancellation at short notice (if you are able to do that) but many clinics don't even do that now as their lists are so long.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright