Alternative to Naproxen

Options

Hi All, Im 59 and have osteoarthritis in multiple joints. I first saw a rheumy maybe 5 yrs ago and initially it was thought I had some sort of inflammatory arthritis as I also get lots of tendonopathys and I responded remarkably well to a months course of steroids. Since then I’ve not had any flares and ultra sounds and mris of hands and feet reveal no inflammation apart from bursitis of both big toes😞. So I’ve been told I’ve got generalised OA and signed back to my GP. I’ve worked hard to reduce my weight and try to do 30 mins active exercise and walk 10,000 steps a day. Pain and stiffness has been manageable. I realised a couple of weeks ago that I’ve been taking Naproxen and a PPI daily for last 4 years. I’m not too worried about the Naproxen but I am concerned about the PPI as it can mask other issues and reduce absorption it vitamins and minerals. Therefore I decided to stop taken it - two weeks on I am really struggling to be active. My joints all feel like treacle and my tendons are starting to tighten up. So …. My question is - is this my new physical state or will this level off as my body gets used to not having the naproxen? Is there any other drug I could take which could help without having to take a PPI? (I already take paracetamol).

thanks in advance

Jax xx

Comments

• janey4
    janey4 Administrator Posts: 45
    Options

Hi @JaxDowsett - a very warm hello and welcome. I hope you will find it helpful chatting to others in our friendly online community.

You have osteoarthritis in multiple joints. You have worked hard to reduce your weight and great to hear you are also doing exercise and walking each day. So you have decided not to take the naproxen but are now struggling to be active. It is important to talk to your GP about pain relief and what is best for you as an individual. There are other alternative pain killers but this should be discussed with the GP or pharmacist. You may also wish to ask your GP to prescribe you capsaicin cream, which if used regularly, can be a well-tolerated complementary pain reliever for osteoarthritis. May be worth giving that a try as well.

Do keep posting where I am sure you will also get some great ideas and support around pain management. Welcome again

Best wishes

Janey

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Not an easy one this @JaxDowsett

Who is the adorable pusskin as your avatar?

Naproxen is a non steroidal anti inflammatory NSAID. Mst NSAIDS are tough on our stomachs unfortunately. The newer COX2 types are a bit better, but I still wouldn't take them long term or even medium term without a PPI. My stomach bears testament to that mistake 😕 Others can't take them due to being on other medication or having conditions like asthma.

Paracetamol is a painkiller not anti inflammatory so it's not tackling the inflammation part of Arthritis. There are of course stronger painkillers some of which you can buy over the counter (speak to your pharmacist for advice), but most of the stronger stuff is prescription only.

Final option is to try an anti-inflammatory in gel form which in theory might bypass the stomach.

Take care

Toni xx

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

As froggy has pointed out Naproxen is a NSAID, one of the no nos for it is if you have any issues with osteoporosis and calcium retention/absorption. Short term is ok for a week or two, long term is not ok. No painkiller should be taken long term, your body will soon get used to the drugs and require more and more to act in the way they used to.

As in all things in life there’s more than one ways of killing the cat, read and research methods on here, ask your GP for a referral to the Pain Clinic and their Pain Therapy Course. Doctors are waiting for the course so be patient.

its a grin, honest!