Stress and arthritis pain

Hello everyone. I've not been on this site for 6 years. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to come back as my multiple joint pains and herniated discs have been just an annoying but managable background to my life. However they are now back with avengence. When it all started 6 years ago, it co-incided with the death of my father and other stressors. This time I have had yet another close family bereavement and am having a stressful time with my teenage son. I feel quite anxious and low with it all to be honest. All my joints are burning, esp ankles and wrist, my right hip is stiff and difficult to move in certain directions and the old back + neck ache is back really bad. I'm trying to not get myself more in a tizz as I've been here before and things did eventually dampen down after several months. (An auto-immune arthritis was ruled out 6 years ago and plain xrays didn't show much osteo except in neck). I'm wondering if anyone else feels their symptoms worsen when under alot of emotional stress and any tips on coping? I've read through a few old posts and love the fact you all offer such great advice and manage your conditions with such dignity and humour. Sorry for the long post and thank you for listening.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Without a doubt stress plays a part not just with aches and pains but with all sorts of physical things and that does make sense. I'm sorry you're having a tough time of it and for your bereavement. And, certainly, teenage sons can be a big form of stress as I discovered twice and now both my grown-up sons are realising!

Here's a link you might find helpful. To me, it gives very useful advice. I'd also suggest you might find pain relief (if you don't already use it) and exercises helpful.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/emotional-wellbeing/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I found a fascinating article, quite by chance, on the role of telomeres in the ageing process. These are DNA protein structures attached to our chromosomes (just a bit of science background there) but stress and other factors can result in them shortening and making us more prone to diseases like osteo-arthritis and some cancers. I tick all three boxes. I don't know if you'd actually feel the effects of it acutely during stressful periods in our lives, but it does at least demonstrate that emotional stress can have a very physical impact on our bodies.

All I can say is be kind to your body as much as you can during this sad upheaval in your life. It needs nursing through it as much as "you" do. I tend to see our minds and bodies as a team, and we have to look after both members of the team to keep functioning properly. Sorry if that all sounded a bit like psycho babble, it wasn't meant to, but there are direct connections that we do well to keep in mind.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    edited 31. Aug 2022, 21:01

The release of any of the ‘flight or fight’ chemicals such as cortisol in to our blood stream will cause a reduction in the efficiency of many of our organs, a higher percentage of the available blood and oxygen will be carried to our main life preserving organs. We can overdose on the chemicals and cause issues in later life, this is just a very brief explanation and yes, constant stress in our lives is not good.

Try music, I have hundreds of classic music recordings on my phone which sends a return internet music signal to my speakers and fills the room with enjoyable relaxing ‘mood music’. What joy. I get so involved with listening that time (and pain) just pass by. Now if I could just get my granddaughter to turn Baby Shark off…………;-)

My other relaxation is my shed I get totally carried away with the process of making, mending and thinking through the logics of such.

it’s a grin, honest!

p.s. having arther on your back means we don’t have to apologise, explain etc etc, everyone on here suffers pain no matter what reason and we can empathise with ease. Keep smiling!

• Tigerfeet
    Tigerfeet Member Posts: 8

Thank you all for replying and offering such kind advice. We certainly are complex beings. I'm going to try and prioritise myself (which I haven't been doing). And will speak to my GP about perhaps starting some pain relief and physio. I do find great comfort in this group (which is why I came back to it). Its easy to catastrophise when you're in pain and feeling fed up, but seeing people on here enjoying life despite their arthritis challenges gives me hope for the future. Many Thanks again x