Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
N1c013
N1c013 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I was advised by my rheumatology nurse to sign up here and was told it can be really helpful.

I was diagnosed at 25 and it’s been a year now since my diagnosis and I normally get a lot of pain in my hands, feet, knees and back and at the moment I’m having a bad flare up with my knee and it’s very swollen and sore.

I’ve spoken with my doctor and I am waiting to hear back from my rheumatologist.

I’ve been taking steroids for 3 months but not allowed to take anti inflammatory medication due to a separate medical issue. I have been giving pain relief but I find it isn’t helping. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help with the pain

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @N1c013

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you were diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis a year ago. Generally you experience quite a lot of pain in your hands, feet, knees and back. At the moment you are having a flare up and dealing with a lot of pain in your knee which is very swollen and sore. You have been on steroids for the last 3 months and are unable to take anti inflammatory medication due to another medical condition. You are waiting to hear from your rheumatologist about your flare up and how much pain you are in. You don't find your pain relief helping and are wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

It really sounds you are going through it currently which I'm sure many of us can relate to. Its great that your rheumatologist nurse recommended us to you and I do hope that you find this community helpful to you. Sometimes its just nice talking to other who can relate to what you are going through.

As to advice with regards to your flare up while you wait to hear back from your rheumatologist, I often find that when I'm having a flare up with my knees that ice packs always help to get the swelling under control. Also elevating your knee may help too. With regards to pain, I know that some people fins that TENs machines are quite helpful. I will attach some information below that I think will be of interest to you so please do have a read when you get a chance. I'm sure once the other members have seen your post they will be able to give you lots of helpful advice, its just about trying it all and seeing what works best for you.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and do continue to keep getting involved in the community.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

You probably need your DMARDS tweaking which only the rheumatologist can do. I've always been advised to do gentle Range of Movement exercises when flaring and try to go very easy on myself with the daily grind. Your GP might be able to offer different pain meds while you wait.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • N1c013
    Options

Thank you for replying to my post, it is nice that their is somewhere to go and chat to people who actually understand what I’m experiencing. I am currently on methotrexate and currently haven’t felt a big difference with it as I’ve still been having flare ups and it is the worst I’ve had it with my knee. Im unsure if the medication needs longer to make more of a difference as I’ve only been on it for 3 months or that I may need to be put into a different steroid. I was previously on sufasalazine and it didn’t work well with me. The only thing I had any type of relief with was the prednisolone and that is something that I’m aware can only be given temporarily. I’m currently trying the deep freeze cold patches on my knee and also a knee support.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    Options

Hi @N1c013

I'm a lot older than you and was diagnosed with PsA two years ago aged 65. I was put on sulfasalazine for 3 months, then MTX for 5 months before being put on an adalimumab biosimilar - Amgevita - in late July 2021. Neither the sulfasalazine nor MTX worked for me and during that time the only relief I got was from prednisilone and then kenalog steroid injections as well as large amounts of opiate painkillers. Amgevita has worked for me. The medics didn't stop the sulfasalazine nor MTX so I take them as well. It isn't a full fix - I still have issues with aching shoulders, hands, knees and feet but it's a lot better than it was and it's letting me function. I haven't used a strong painkiller in the past 6 months. I also use capsaicin cream on my shoulder and knee joints and lidocaine patches on my back. I also wear compression gloves on my hands.

I hope you get treatment that works for you soon. One thing I've learned is I needed to be more direct and demanding with medics rather than be a passenger in all of this.

• N1c013
    Options

I have been given codeine 15mg to take along with paracetamol but not getting much pain relief from it. My doctor sent an email to my rheumatologist Friday afternoon, I’m going to contact rheumatology today and ask them to leave a message to my rheumatologist to contact me.

Do the injections give any type of relief?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

More most (I think) of us, they give a lot of temporary relief. I reckon about 6-12 weeks.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    Options

Hi @N1c013

I had 12 Kenalog injections between Sept 2020 and July 2021. The initial 7 injections were targetted to specific areas - left hand, left knee and right shoulder and each time I felt they worked. The medics changed course in early 2021 and started giving the injections into my backside - alternating sides - and I had 5 of them. I felt that a couple of them made no difference but the rest did. With me, when the injections did work they gave me 4-6 weeks respite.