Hello 👋 Just joined - Struggling with my diagnosis

Options
ClareM
ClareM Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, I’m Clare, 43 and a Mum of 3. I’ve recently been diagnosed with RA and Osteoarthritis. I have several joints that are affected and some days are very painful.

Its all been a whirlwind of emotions and I’m finding the daily emotional rollercoaster hard at the moment. I’m a mix of emotions and am finding my diagnosis hard. 6 months ago I was fit and healthy, a keen runner and had just completed my first marathon. Now I can just about walk some days let alone run. Not being able to do the things I love and I’m passionate about is very upsetting and I’m constantly asking ‘why me’?

I was on Methotrexate tablets 10mg along with Hydroxychloroquine but I was feeling very ill from side effects. I had to stop the medication for a few weeks but am now due to start on Methojec so I’m hoping this is going to ease the pain and I can possibly have some kind of normal back again.

Hoping to hear from others who can relate and share stories/experiences.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @ClareM and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have RA and Osteoarthritis and will be taking methotrexate injections. Our website is a potentially useful source of information and I would recommend having a look around it as it contains information on arthritis, medications and hints and tips. I've put a couple of examples below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I think it gets us all where it hurts most. With me it was fingers and I just couldn't play the right notes on the piano as my fingers wouldn't stretch. It was no great loss to the world as I was never much good but I did love playing.

Go easy on yourself. It's a lot to deal with emotionally. I hope the pen works well for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright