New Diagnosis

Options
Lisalou
Lisalou Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all. I received a diagnosis of psoriatic Arthritis this week. I saw a rheumatologist the beginning of June , scan on 25 August but now don’t have an appointment till November even though I’ve got my results by post. I’m in so much pain and struggling to walk. Is it normal to take this long?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Lisalou and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have psoriatic arthritis and are waiting for your next appointment. I also understand that you are in pain and struggling to walk. Have you had a look at our website? - it contains a lot of information about arthritis, treatments and hints and tips. To help I've put a couple of links below which might be of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I'm afraid this sort of thing is all too common now. Too many patients and too few consultants. However, many rheumatologists will prescribe steroids to tide patients over. Or, your GP could prescribe anti-inflammatories. Not ideal but better than nothing. Also, it might be worth ringing your consultant's secretary to say you could take a cancellation at short notice. Sometimes it works. And your GP might be willing to try to hurry up your appointment. I hope something will work.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lisalou
    Lisalou Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your comments. I am already on 40 mg of prednisone for Asthma and cannot take anti inflammatory medication ☹️ My GP has written to them so now it’s just a waiting game I guess.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Lisalou

40mg of prednisone is possibly as high or even higher than most of us get to tide us over while we get our meds.

I had a depot steroid jab in my rear while waiting for my eds to kick in once they started me on them though so that might be an option.

Sounds as though your GP is doing his/her best to help you too. Definitely offer to take a cancellation appointment if you can. Usually it's not the same day or quite that short notice usually next week or at least a few days away.

Best of luck

Toni xx