Rheumatoid Arthritis (newbie)

Options
Cassie_99
Cassie_99 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

After X-rays, mris and bloods doctor has said I most likely have RA and they have referred me to see a rheumatologist. They said it was a six week wait for appointments but after ringing I have learned it is a lot more than six weeks. I’m 23 with a one year old daughter and finding everyday life extremely hard. My legs and feet are swollen and I can’t bend my knees which have fluid. I’m in pain all the time and the only thing I’ve been prescribed is naproxen. I don’t know where to go from here.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    edited 11. Sep 2022, 14:28
    Options

Hi@Cassie_99 and

Welcome to the online community. I can see that you have likely been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and that you are now waiting to see a rheumatologist. Firstly this must be a very difficult time for you and waiting to see a rheumatologist can seem endless. So be gentle with yourself and ask for as much support as possible during this time. It is often a good idea to phone your he's secretary and let them know that you would be willing to take a cancellation appointment at short notice if you can. Meanwhile ask you GP for some other painkillers to support you.

This section on being newly diagnosed might be useful. Also downloading our app will help you to build up a picture of your disease activity to share with your rheumatologist.

It is hard being a young mum so please ask all the as you need, our community are very supportive

Best wishes

Sharon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,418
    Options

It's really tough being in so much pain with a wee one @Cassie_99

Mine were luckily older when it happened to me.

You will have have to compromise a lot just now your daughter may watch more TV than you would like and you might not be able to physically play with her as much as you want to. You WILL cope though somehow. @stickywicket will confirm just how resilient children are.

Rest assured you will keep her safe and she will know she is loved and long term this won't affect her as much as you think it will.

As @Sharon_K says take help offered to you family or friends don't be overly brave or stubborn. If they offer they mean it and it will help them to know they are helping you.

Totally 100% agree about ringing the secretary for a cancellation appointment if one comes up it might get you seen weeks earlier.

Take care and keep talking we are all here for you.

Toni x