Do sharks get rheumatoid arthritis or cancers like us? Apparently not! Hope springs internal…

I hope Jaws one day will help fix my creaky joints!

Here fishy fishy fishy!

These weird group of prehistoric animals already help us with their amazing immune systems. King Crabs with their weird blue blood (hence King?) are used to safety check vaccine batches as their blood is ultra sensitive to bacterial contamination, far more than ours. So I hope shark antibodies can be used to mask our citrullinated joint cartilage to prevent attack.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Tiny tough antibodies @Arthuritis very interesting read thank you for posting.

Very interesting that they have mentioned cancer and Rheumatoid Arthritis isn't it?

Nice to see your name on the board. Are you doing ok ATM?

Take care

Toni x

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@frogmorton Yes, its interesting! Also, yes, thanks, starting to accept the yoke of RA weighing down, so working fewer hours to allow rest & recovery.

BTW, not sure if I mentioned this before, but legumes really set my RA off flaring. I confirmed this after one afternoon I felt almost normal, and thought I’d treat myself, nothing fancy, baked beans and some lentils. I hadn’t had baked beans in a while so thought I’d try something different. Three hours after I’d had my baked beans my knees and elbows were on fire so bad, I had to bring forward my MTX a day. (From Friday to Thursday). I thought it was just bad luck, so the following week I tried again, same again. Lentils by themselves don’t trigger so bad, but the BBs were like petrol on cinders.

Hopefully nobody else has had the same experience. Other than that, not had any unbearable pain, just getting used to the idea of being creaky.

☺️

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

In my next regeneration I'm coming back as a shark.

Thanks @Arthuritis .

Re the beans. I'm sure I've read that, for those who eat a lot of legumes and pulses they're very good at keeping the bowels moving. However, in those who don't eat a lot of them they can cause constipation. I'm wondering two things:

1. If one is constipated any nasties will surely linger longer in the system.

2. Is it the beans or the sauce and flavourings? Baked beans are usually cannelloni beans. If you like them you could try a few without the sauce and, if that's OK, make your own sauce next time.

At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, you do know to rinse ordinary canned beans and pulses thoroughly? Otherwise they cause a lot of gas.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

@stickywicket I thought you were coming back as a dog?😁

@Arthuritis that's so interesting about your baked beans! Oddly enough a (vegan & coeliac) friend of mine who has cancer finds baked beans one of the few thinks she can keep down.

I shall experiment myself I rarely eat them not at all sure why but so rarely that I just wouldn't know. I will make a point of adding them to my diet over the next few weeks and feed back to you.

Sounds as though otherwise you are doing really well getting the hang of this Arthritis malarkey that's good👍️

Take care

Toni xx

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 218

Never thought I'd want to be friendly with a shark! Interesting about the baked beans.

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@stickywicket Hi yes, good thoughts and advice, although I am aware of the sugars in beans that cause fermentation gas problems many are not. Unfortunately I get the flare up with any legumes. The baked beans from major brands I am familiar with are borlotti beans, and yes, it could be the sauce, but I get it with lentils too (no sauce).

The constipation bit I get with steamed veggies, broccoli has to be steamed, if not its too scratchy and results in 2 agonising days! Same with pomegranate, love the taste, but those chewed up seeds have sharp edges😆