Anxious about being immunosuppressed

Options

Hello everyone I was diagnosed with RA in July. I am just coming to the end of my second course of steroid tablets and have been on methotrexate for four weeks now. I am so anxious about being immunosuppressed. I don’t feel I can go to restaurants or do anything really. How do other people cope??? Thanks so much for your help.

btw I’m 60 years

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Pre-covid, I never thought about it except for a couple of weeks before flying. Then I avoided anyone with coughs and sneezes. Now I'm much more careful. I avoid crowds and ensure I get all my covid and flu jabs. So far, so good

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

Likewise. Never gave it a second thought until March 2020. Covid changed everything. Virtually shut at home for two years but going out more now. I still mask up in shops or on trains and buses and avoid crowded places if at all possible. Only had one meal out indoors and that wasn't busy. Fortunately weather's been kind enough to allow al fresco dining. But I haven't been to or intend to go to a cinema or theatre any time soon.

If anyone had said I'd get used to this kind of existence even at the outset of the pandemic I'd have thought them mad.

• Gillyd62
    Gillyd62 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thank you @stickywicket and @scotleag for your insights.

• Cath100
    Cath100 Moderator Posts: 40
    Options

Hi @Gillyd62

There are many people whom I am sure feel very similar to yourself still, it must also be tough if you have just been diagnosed relatively recently. Do speak to your GP or rheumatologist if you are concerned and they will advise you further and we have some great info here which may also be helpful:

Further to this keep talking to people on our online forum and others as you are doing and you can find all the updates here too about COVID-19 and arthritis

If you want to talk to our trained advisors on the helpline, we are also a friendly bunch, the free telephone number is 0800 5200 520.

Best wishes

Cath100

(Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

To be honest, I’m not unconcerned but most of the time I carry on without thinking too much. My life is the same as it was for years, I have probably had it for a while now, so nothing to worry about. It’s a head job really, control that and you’ll feel different? Or at least not as concerned.

its a grin, honest!

• Lindaa
    Lindaa Member Posts: 24
    Options

I did the shielding, have all the jabs offered and dont really think about it though I never have liked crowded places . Life is one big risk every day- immune system problems are just one of many issues. But life is too short to shut ourselves away.

• Gillyd62
    Gillyd62 Member Posts: 8
    Options

@airwave and @Lindaa yes I need a more positive headspace !!