Medication confusion

Options

I've recently been diagnosed with palindromic rheumatism and because of my very high levels my consultant wants me on medication as soon as possible to prevent further joint damage. This has all happened so fast and reading about the medications (a choice of Sulfasalazine or Methotrexate) is just scary. I haven't really got anyone to offer advice aside from my consultant (who's lovely). Any advice, experiences etc would be greatly appreciated. The side affects are frightening and I just feel a bit lost

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 707
    Options

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in Oct. 2020 and put on sulfasalazine. It didn't work for me and in Feb. 2021 methotrexate was added which also didn't work in my case although I've read that it works for more than 80% of people. I'm still on both as well as a biologic - adalimumab - which did work. I've no side effects from sulfasalazine I know of - other than extremely orange urine. Apart from the immunosuppression the only side effects I get from MTX is that either the day after I take it - or sometimes 2 days after - my energy levels plummet, usually in the afternoon and I go for a lie down. I take folic acid every day I don't take MTX. I use antiseptic mouthwash and prescription toothpaste to try to avoid any possibility of mouth problems. On the issue of immunosuppression I've just ensured I'm a lot more careful in what I do, where I go and what I eat.

It's good that you have a good consultant - that'll help a lot I think.

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @Spindrift,

Thank you for joining our community and welcome :)

You mention having a recent diagnosis of palindromic rheumatism and due to high levels your consultant would like you to start treatment as soon as possible. It can be a bit scary and overwhelming when looking into or starting treatments. And understandably so, side effects aren't nice. However they do tend to reduce as after a few weeks with some people and there are people who have benefitted from methotrexate or sulfasalazine. Everyone works differently with different medications. Hopefully someone in the comments can give you a bit more insight with their experiences.

Best wishes,

Sharmin (mod)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm